Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 4 months ago

If I were lost in the desert, could I dig under a large tree and find water?

How far would I need to dig?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • John
    Lv 4
    3 months ago

You can get water in the desert from digging, many have made that mistake thinking that, and their souls wander now howling in the wind, alone and cold under the cold moon and stars.

You can hear them even in daylight if you listen.

Best to either learn where water is or go no further than your carried water can take you.

Experience is best in traveling the world especially the desert.

Best to own mules and donkeys for packing your water and don't fall for the marketplace and their jive on their "girls" being as good as any mule as a pack animal. Human make good servants especially the female but as pack animals? Better you keep them as servants.

• james
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

You will not find large trees. If trained you can spot were water is close to the surface. Some is on hillsides in pans. & such. I have been shown a few times what to look for. But never had to do. You travel in small groups as water when found is limited in amount found. Best get training before you try this.

• rick
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Perhaps adjacent to, but not under. Don't bet on it. That tree root may go down 200' to get it's water.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

Your in a desert, were are you going to fine a tree? FOOL!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

No trees in a desert, so you got a problem there. Finding an effen tree. Then you might as well continue on and find a forest and then a stream and then a Qwiky Mart to buy a shovel and you dig until you find water.

• 4 months ago

You probably wouldn't find large trees in a desert.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Mojave Desert has many trees so I guess it's not a desert then.

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Not likely. You would have to avoid the roots. You might do better to go downslope from the tree and a bit off to one side and build a solar still. Hey, if you have a shovel to dig with, it's just as likely that you have a few square feet of plastic sheeting and a container to catch the water.

In some deserts, you could get by just by collecting the dew or the moisture from the air. Yes, some deserts are incredibly humid. The Tihama and the Namibian Desert come to mind. And the Negev has dew two nights out of three.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

You could, but the desert ground is compact and hard as hell to dig through. You would be better off getting water from cacti.

• Lv 5
      4 months agoReport

True. The only reason I can tell the difference is living in the Sonora desert for 25 years.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.