Is hot water faucet always on right as you face it?

26 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Certainly not the convention where I live; faucets are in opposing sides in different rooms. Blame the plumber.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

Hot is on the left usually, but there's no hard and fast rule. It's just a convention that it's that way. It did, as already said, probably originate when the only water available was cold and the pump was on that side as most people were right-handed. No-one really knows, though.

I have seen it the other way round because the hot water pipe happened to arrive at the basin from that direction.

• 6 months ago

NO. In America - the hot water faucet is ALWAYS on the Left.

• GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Not in the US- hot is generally on the left as you face the faucet

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Typically they are on the left in my humble opinion.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

This isn't a matter of 'opinion', humble or otherwise, but of plain hard fact and your experience of it.

• chris
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It's actually due to the history of indoor plumbing that depicts the placement rather than codes and regulations!

When indoor plumbing was first introduced, it was cold water only and normally by hand pump. Since the majority of people are right handed, the pump was placed to the right of the basin.

As time progressed, hot water taps were introduced. Since cold was already on the right, and more commonly used, the hot water tap was placed on the left.

Now, if the majority of the household was lefties, this would have been the opposite, but for the majority, this practice was passed down through the generations as a standard of having hot on the left.

• ...Show all comments
    • chris
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

That's true, but the poster did not offer their location and I didn't want to assume it was a "universal" code enforcement.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Rule of thumb is hot on the left, cold on the right.

• Kate
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The left in my house but just look for the red marker on the tap, that will tell you.

• 6 months ago

Convention and code in the US says the hot water dispenser is on the left, not the right, as you look at it. But that isn't the convention worldwide.

It's a bit like which side does one drive on...left or right? You really can't tell until you've gotten to a country and tried to drink hot water thinking that was the cold water side. Ouch.

• BJJ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No , it should be on the left

the common sense answer is that the hot tap is on the left because people are mostly right handed and the cold tap is used the most often.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.