My boss told me to come to work and then acted like I was weird for doing it?

My boss said 2 months ago that I should come in to work on my birthday and we would have an employee pizza party but I wouldn't have to work (we already have a pizza buffet where I work so it wouldn't even be hard to) but when I got there he told me to go home and take the day off because it's my birthday and acted like I was super weird for coming in, even though he asked me to. Am I good?

I'm gonna re ask this question in a more general way

actually nevermind i'm okay thank you all

just for everyone's edification I realised that the problem was that my boss doesn't communicate well in general so I'm going to pursue advice in the category of how to be a better communicator instead of just trying to figure out one person on a case by case basis

also the reason I asked this question is because he wanted to add water nozzles and soundtracks to things like skee-ball and it just reminded me that his behavior is sometimes difficult for me to parse

• A.J.
    Favorite Answer

"2 months ago". There are people that have total recall, but that is very rare. What you refer to is a "passing thought" which is an idea that comes to mind in a circumstance or situation that is then forgotten later. It is why we put things on calendars and schedules so we remember.

The new thought from your boss is that it was your birthday and you should have the day without work, and it is even better if he gives you pay (salary) for the day and makes it a paid holiday this year for you.

Nothing is wrong. You're good. It would be a bit rude but within acceptable to immediately have said something courteous, but forgiving like-

"Oh. Thanks for the day off. I seem to remember about an employee pizza party plan to come in for, that you mentioned a couple of months ago, but I could use a day to go shopping and relax at the pool. See you tomorrow." That would have given him the chance to remember- a gentle tap reminder.

It is important to stay on good terms and relationship with your boss/manager, but you are allowed a little leeway done carefully. It was his mistake, and you took the statement a couple of months ago as more important of course.

Another better option was a working day before your birthday to nicely remind him of what he said.

"It's my birthday tomorrow. You mentioned a couple of months ago about a pizza lunch to come in for. Is it still on, or should I take the day off, or regular work day?"

In any case, you have nothing to be weird about a misunderstanding. They happen.

• Becca6 months agoReport

I do actually have eidetic memory while I'm here. Thank you, this answer made me understand why I was actually feeling weird :-)

are you making this up

• Bob

To me the weird part is that he told you two months ago that you should come in to work on your birthday, and here it is two months later and you are still concerned about it.

• Becca6 months agoReport

Yeah okay I understand how that would be weird, I actually just remembered it because he went to a "4D movie" and he was telling us that during the movie they spray you with water and he wants to add that to arcade things here. Okay. I think I know a good way to rephrase the question so I'm gonna

• NONAME

2 months ago? and its still on your mind...well not saying anything when you know you should have will give you regrets...if you like your job dont say anything and just calmy note that your boss may have a drug habit

Say:I am good. Then his head goes after his works. These days better, bosses are that want rude answers or very long ans serious replies. These sort of worker,is usually trying to no if you are one of the sadists,to throw you out.Any passable a matter is one of the solemn and right things,an answer is also one the matters.

no. you are not good, definitely no good at writing fiction

• NONAME

lol