Sending US dollars in mail to the Phillipines?

I m trying to send money to my fiancee in the phillipines, is it legal to just put US dollars in a package with other stuff like gifts? using usps btw

About 1 in every 12 cards or letters I've mailed to the P.I. has disappeared. I suspect a dishonest postal guy there has opened the envelope in hopes of finding money and simply threw it in the trash afterwards instead of sealing it back up and sending it along.

try PayPal or WU

I would advice you not to do it! The safest way to send is western union. I’m Filipino and happily married to an American for 28 years. I use western union to send money to my daughter in the Philippines. They also have an option to receive the money in dollars. Good luck, I hope she’s one of the few like me !

• Nick2 months agoReport

Are you saying that there are only a few good filipino people. Were you not attracted to your spouses financial security?

Small amount properly sealed and hidden will get through. If you use a respectable courier service, there won't be any problem unless the whole batch sinks, crash, whatever the case maybe. If you are sending for a relative. Good. But if due to "sob stories", don't! No matter what. Though Filipinos are kind and good in general, they all love a free ride, rich and poor alike. Specially from people off shore who has no way of checking on them. Sorry to say.

• james

It will never get to her. Use Western Union or another service & wire the money to her. Send her photos of the reciet so do it on line with a account. Or she will have a hard time getting the money. Make sure she has I.D. She says send it to my aunt you are being scammed! Probably scammed any way. Many of these girls work 3 or 4 men. For money. I have tried to send a few things to the Philippines threw the mail. Non valuables do get threw. To Go, UPS will set you back $70 to ship. A balken box sent by air around $45. Only a Philippine citizen can pick them up. With gifts or other. The Philippine postal service is very crooked. But much better than it use to be. So go on line set up a account with a money transfer service. Only way to do it safe.

Source(s): I live in or am in & out of the Philippines 9 months a year. Do not mail money here. They will never get it. A direct deposit is best your bank to there bank. By routing number. This takes a person with a real name & account to receive. Not a Philippine scammer. A person you can find legally.

sounds like you plan to put it in a LBC box & ship it? Don't. there are many companies who specialize in money transfers. lots of Apps also. just do that so there is a record of the cash you sent. She will need to show your support to USCIS at some point before getting the K1.

• RICK

Legal yes advisable no

Mail including psckasges can take months to reach some areas of the Philippines

And there is a large possibility it will be opened long before it arrives.

Remember once it arrives in Manila it is no longer under USPS control

After 40 years of sending packages and money to the Philippines I recommend Western Union or Money Gram for sending cash and finding a "Balikbayan" shipper for packages (costs $100-$125 depending on where in the Philippines its going), the advantage to this is you cash send a lot,

as the boxes a fairly large and no weight restrictions. I have sent boxes weighing in excess of 225 pounds.

You could, but the only way USPS recommends sending cash in the mail is if it's registered mail and insured, you have to say how much there is, and the post office staff would like to verify by seeing it that the cash is in the amount you say it is. If you just put cash in an envelope or a box, they won't insure it and there's an excellent chance it just won't arrive.

The U S Postal Service frowns on it. Research at USPS.com (or gov ??)

• Rick B

No. It is not legal to mail money

• RICK

Perfectly legal, just not smart