Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 5 months ago

My dad always thinks im hiding something?

It pisses me off- i could be in my room just writing some stuff or reading something and he ll be all like what are you writing, why are you hiding that piece of paper and will proceed to snatch it off me- and i don t always appreciate people reading things that i write for myself. Or i could be looking at my laptop and he ll be like what are you doing on there stop hiding and i just want privacy.

Best Answer

This is a mistake that lots of parents make, but you need to understand it originates from love and care for you. I am not suggesting it is right, but he isn't doing it to be mean.

The suspicious parent is suspicious for one of two main reasons:

1. Because they themselves were bad kids always trying to get away with something from their own parents, so just assume you are just like them.

2. Because of articles or books they have read telling them they need to be vigilant to protect their children by constantly being aware of what they are doing to enable to provide the proper protection and care.

Both reasons cause the parent to offer the child less trust which they often are completely unconscious of doing and thus don't know the stress they are causing the child.

What do you do? Be honest with them. Tell Dad how you feel and how and why he can trust you. Offer some empathy that you know he is trying to protect you but that what he is doing isn't fair. You learned it in kindergarten, and it will apply the rest of your life. Honesty is the best policy. Good Luck,

rnaybe you should tell hirn you want privacy

Becouse you are hidding things from him and he has every right to take anything he wants away from you and you have no right to stop him

• 5 months agoReport

Sometimes you want to write down thoughts and emotions that you don't want to talk to anyone about- and that's perfectly appropriate. Your age doesn't even matter, you whole entire life doesn't have to be public and exposed to your parents.

• Sharon

My mother was like that. I mailed myself a letter (no return address). She demanded to see it. I assured her she did not want to see it. Big argument, ending in my finally yielding. She took the letter out and read "You have a nosy mother." Told me I was a nasty rotten brat of a kid, but never again looked at my mail.

maybe you should talk to your mom about it

• Possum

Unfortunately, your dad sounds like he is mentally ill - a paranoid schizophrenic. He needs to be on medication. Talk to your mom about it.