The possibilities of become a physician at my age?

Alright, it's 4 in the morning. I'm hoping this question lands in the hands of those qualified to answer.

A little background: I'm 24 years old. I have a job in digital marketing and I enjoy it. The one thing that bothers me is that even though I'm good at it, it's not quite fulfilling. Figuring out ways to drive sales for businesses is addicting, more than anything.

All my life I wanted to be a doctor. I worked toward this and had a near 4.0 GPA throughout high school, but I started working in digital marketing before college so I never finished my degree.

This might vary from person to person, but how difficult would it be to jump back into school when I've been out of it for 5 years? Digital marketing is a great field, and it's a job in high demand, but I want to help people get better, not help people make more money. I want to see someone's health improve and be the one that orchestrate's their improvement. I want to become a doctor to prove myself and my small-voiced doubts wrong.

What should be my next steps? How does one go from no school in their daily life to having school be their life?

Thanks!

If you are well experienced and you know how to treat patients you shouldn't have a problem make sure to train well that's a very difficult task.

I don’t think you will deal with much age discrimination if you can do it. Even if you were 34 I would say to try it but age discrimination gets to be a problem around age 40. But the thing is most people work until they’re 65-70 these days.

You're not too old to become a doctor. My excellent internist didn't start med school until she was 30. But you're already in a career that you enjoy and that has a good future. Before abandoning that, you might consider volunteering at your local hospital to get the volunteer experience that you'd need anyway for medical school and to be sure that a medical career is really what you want. You'll be racking up a lot of debt and sacrificing a LOT of time and effort just to be ready for med school (and without a guarantee of acceptance). There may be other pathways to healing people (or animals) that don't require becoming a doctor.

You are asking a lot of questions that have different answers. The biggest issues you'd face include:

1. Money. You really can't afford to not be a full-time student or to do anything that would distract you from getting A's in your college classes. That probably means not working at all or working very few hours. You'll also need to focus your summers on either going to school to "catch up" or doing research or volunteer work aimed at getting into medical school.

2. Culture. As a 24-year-old who's been out in the "adult" work world for four years, you may find being surrounded by 18- and 19-year-olds a difficult adjustment.

3. Starting over and re-engaging in academics. You'll likely be looking at 3 years of undergraduate study even if most of your previous college credits transfer in. You didn't mention whether your attended a university or community college or what courses you completed. If you weren't a pre-med student at a university before, you can assume that beyond transferring some general education credits, you'll be starting fresh with biology, chemistry, physics, genetics, etc. to fulfill the med school requirements.

4. Time. You are looking at about a decade in school to get through a bachelor's degree, get into medical school, get through med school, and complete a residency. During that time you'll be a student with no income.

Science & math skills are commonly the first lost when out of school for any length of time. Plus sciences are going through massive rapid change, and tough to stay on top of developments. Are you really prepared to start a bachelor's degree program in premed so that you can get all your prerequisites for medical school? Then 4 more years in med school. Med school admissions are incredibly competitive now.

It's not a matter of "too old" at this point, but whether you are willing & able to commit to getting up to speed on your sciences & math, then 8 years of 80+ hours a week for bachelor's + MD degrees.

At 24, nothing is out of the question

You say you "never finished" your degree. But did you start it? If so, how far along did you get in college?

24 is still pretty young; I wouldn't let your age stop you. But if you're going to finish your medical degree before you're ready to retire, I'm afraid that means you're going to have to go to college full time, and that means dropping your digital marketing career, or at least cutting way back on your hours (20 or fewer per week) while you're an undergraduate. And you cannot work at all once medical school starts, if you have any expectation to pass your medical school exams and your USMLEs.

You can be any undergraduate major for medical school, as long as you take the medial school prerequisite classes (which vary a bit by medical school but typically include two semesters of general biology with lab, two semesters of physics with lab, two semesters of general chemistry with lab, organic chemistry with lab, biochemistry, English composition, and calculus or statistics. Even if the medical schools don't require it, psychology is tested on the MCAT so you might want to take a class in that as well.) You could major in marketing since you're familiar with the subject; the objective is to get the highest grades possible.

Community college is not your best option, if you have two or more years of college under your belt already. Medical schools do not look favorably upon prerequisites taken at community college; at least, if they're out of sequence. What I mean is, if a student takes the medical school prerequisites at a community college in the typical course of a 2+2 transfer degree, that's fine, but if it looks like an applicant took the prerequisites at a community college instead of at a four-year college because they're easier at CC, then medical schools will be skeptical of your abilities. Assuming you already have some college, and it was at a university and not a community college, your going back to community college now to take the prereqs would raise red flags to medical schools.

So the next steps are to drop back in to the college or university you originally attended, or apply to another one (as a transfer if you have taken any college classes after you graduate from high school; otherwise as a freshman). Try to keep it cheap; you don't want $100K in college loans before you even start medical school. Apply for all available financial aid; you will need to strive for an A- average (at least) so you won't be able to work full-time to afford living expenses. If you decide to go back to college, cut down on expenses as much as possible (find a place to live close to campus; sell the car if possible, downgrade if not, etc.)

it is almost 6 here now. You begin by going to community college. This is so you have a firm understanding of at least the beginning level of college work.

Getting into medical school in the United States requires a near perfect college record in your undergraduate studies. Further, that BA needs to be in a useful subject for medical work.

I do not know if the schooling required to become a Physician's Assistant [PA] is significantly less than that required to become a physician. You discover this by personally sitting down with the admissions people at your nearest medical school. It's fairly simple ... check online for how to contact them, call for an appointment, and show up with enthusiasm at the agreed day and time.

This will be a lot more reliable than asking strangers on the Internet while it is still dark out.

Source(s): grampa -- married 33 years to a University Professor

If you really want to do it, you will find a way. If you take until your mid thirties to be qualified you still have 30 years or more of a working life - I have known people a lot older start from scratch. There are branches of medicine in which digital skills are important so you may find the best of both worlds.

As for going back into full time education, I was three years out before going back. I was so much more productive that I aced it and held down a job on the side. Find a careers adviser or approach a few colleges, some may require qualifications related to medicine that you may need to obtain first. You aren't the first and you won't be the last to do this.

Have you got the aptitude, the 10 years and the 100s of thousands in the bank to pay for this education?

If you have and you are prepared for the sacrifice and hard work, why not.