DroningOn asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 6 months ago

What does USA and European countries do with their non recyclable plastic waste and metal waste from electronics?

Ship them to some third-world country.

Burn it in the back yard.

• oikoσ

If NOBODY will recycle it, it gets landfilled.

As bad as it sounds, it’s best to dump all waste into the ocean as salt water is very good at breaking down plastic. When we burn plastic however (even during the process of recycling) we are causing irreversible damage to the Earth’s atmosphere. I can’t remember the last time I used a trash can, for this very reason, I take all my waste to the nearest beach.

We have to make arrangements with our garbage hauler for a special pickup of certain items. They have a list of what they will, and will not take. We recently arranged for them to come pick up an old tube TV set, a broken fax/copier/scanner/printer and a box of burned out fluorescent tube lights. They used to have drop off days a few times a year where we'd bring in stuff and they'd dump it all into piles to sort - TVs over there, VCRs over there.

• martin

The scavenger companies have special rules for disposing of electronic waste, partly because it may be dangerous to go into standard land-fill, and also because there's some genuine value in the precious metals that go into the parts. Other components are recyclable plastic.