What is meant by 'read between the lines'?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Something is unspoken or unwritten.

It is beyond what is spoken or written.

From the information given, figure out the rest.

• 5 months ago

Use your brain to figure out what is being said without actually being spoken or written. Don't just look at the superficial words, look at the totality and what it indicates beyond the superficial words. Word choices happen on purpose, and indicate what is being not said as much as what is being said. Often, what is not said is as important as, if not more important than, what was openly declared.

• 5 months ago

Extract meaning where words don't explicitly state it. For example, lets say that your boyfriend told you that he carried Melinda's books home. He never said that he was getting friendly with Melinda and trying to come into her house. However, you might read between the lines and state that his relationship with you would be strained if he tried to strike up a relationship with Melinda.

• 5 months ago

understand the subtleties and hidden meanings (of what the communicator is really saying / is saying without using the actual words and statements)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

It means to see the meaning that isnt obvious. The idea is theres two lines of text saying something but you read between them, finding the hidden meaning. I think an example is your girlfriend saying "My friend just got engaged. Look at her ring, the shape of the diamond is my favorite!". If you read between the lines, you will see your girlfriend is saying she wants you to propose with a similar ring.

• 5 months ago

Well believe this or not this is actually an ancient Jewish proverb given the other Jews to help them to decipher the name of God written in the tetragramaton yhwh the vowels were hidden between the two lines. In modern language it just means realize what's going on right in front of you.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

that there rnight be sorne info theyre not telling you

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.