Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 5 months ago

Can I get rabies by touching trash a rabid animal could have touched?

I’m asking this because I picked up trash that was in my yard after an animal (I think it was an animal) got into my trash can. I’m worried it could’ve been rabid and me touching the trash could give me rabies. The trash was wet but that’s because it just rained.

Best Answer

No. The rabies virus is very fragile and has to be transmitted quickly as it cannot survive outside the host for more than a few minutes. And it has to enter the body via some mucus membrane or an open wound.

unless you have a cut on your hands, no. the rabies virus is spread when it enters your bloodstream, so just touching rabid saliva isn t going to do anything if there are no cuts on your hands

The odds of that are nil, you really should research the rabies virus being so paranoid of it.

Funny, I worked with bats, up close and personal with many, seen them iñ millions, and never encountered a rabid bat.

hopefully not but if youre worried about it just ask your doctor about it

Possible if you have a cut on your hand or other parts of your body. The virus can only enter the body through a cut (or a bite) or if the virus comes into contact with a mucous membrane, such as those in your eye or mouth. Mucous membranes do not have layers of dead skin cells between them and the environment. The skin is normally protected by a thick layer of dead skin cells, but a cut removes that protection and allows germs, toxins and viruses to gain entry into your body.

In the final stages of rabies, the virus in present in large numbers in the animal's saliva. However, at that stage an animal is unable to swallow and is afraid of water. The reason is that the virus has evolved to do that to an animal by attacking its brain. Water will dilute the concentration of virus, making it much less likely to infect by biting. So, if anything, the rain may have lowered any risk of virus transmission by diluting any saliva that may be present in your garbage can. You can examine your hands and arms to see if you have any cuts. When in doubt, go see a doctor and tell him/her your concern. If and when symptoms appear, it would be too late.

A rabid animal that's drooling can leave saliva upon garbage and if it enters a wound or if you rub your eyes after you touch the garbage there is a small chance that you can get infected that way. Now I answered your question in your other question that you posted. Wild raccoons and other animals can carry rabies if they are actively pursuing foraging for food. Such as digging in the garbage for food they probably don't have rabies. When you get rabies you have the tendency to lose your interest in food and become more like a drunk person and stagger around and either get very angry or get very tired and go hide somewhere. But there has been a couple of cases in India where a person touched trash that rabid dogs were in.

And then they rubbed their eyes and it got in through their eyeballs. Wear gloves if you're going to clean up trash. Eliminate that possibility and if you handled it with your bare hands wash it with bleach. And get yourself a rabies vaccination if you suspect.

doubtful, BUT as rabies is a VERY painful brain infection that CAN'T be stopped once it gets hold of you, some extra caution is needed ............... rubber gloves ???

• Gary

Don’t believe it. This user asked this so many times

• Gary

You’ve been asking this for days. We no longer believe you