Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 6 months ago

What are some interesting non fiction books to read?

• Cousin

The Hidden Hitler by Lothar Machtan. Hitler's Jewish Soldiers by Bryan Riggs. Hitler's Spy Princess by Martha Schad. Operation Paperclip by Annie Jacobsen. The Pirate Coast by Zacks.

These are old stories now and might have no meaning to you, but they are wonderfully-written and the stories are fascinating.

You may know something of the 'Jeffrey MacDonald' story. 'Fatal Vision' is the tale of an investigative reporter who entered the scene suspecting that a Green Beret had been falsely accused for the murder of his wife and two daughters. If you don't know anything about this, I won't spoil it for you. The late Joe McGinniss wrote it.

Another is a tale of a Hollywood financial scandal ala Watergate. A relatively minor embezzlement (check forgery) erupted into something that bled into Wall Street, almost tearing Columbia Pictures apart, and damaged careers. If you think business is boring, you probably won't like it, but I found it fascinating.

'Indecent Exposure' by David McClintick

• Zac Z

What's interesting to you depends -who would've thought?- on your interests. Which you did not share.

Personally, for example, I've always been interested in science and sometimes read non-fiction books covering that topic. One that I found fascinating was "The Seven Daughters of Eve" by Bryan Sykes which is about mitochondrial DNA and how this very particular DNA (which is passed on without recombination down the female line) can be used to trace the origins of populations.

Actually, I didn't even care so much for the last third of the book which is mostly fiction (the author provides imagined accounts out of the lives of the titular Eves); I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this part was included to boost the page count. But this doesn't take away from the fact that the main part of the book is very fascinating.

I've seen mitochondrial DNA mentioned various times after I read this book in connection with scientific discoveries and having the Sykes' book was very helpful to follow these articles.

I should add that biology is not my forte (I'm better informed about physics) but in spite of that, or maybe because of that, this book was very fascinating to me.

If you share my interest in science, you might wanna give it a shot.

• Andrew

Paul Brickhill's "The Dam Busters."

Bill Bryson's "Down Under", "I'm a Stranger Here Myself", "Made in America", "The Mother Tongue", "Notes From a Small Island", "A Short History of Nearly Everything" and "A Walk in the Woods."

Bill Buford's "Among the Thugs."

Tim Cahill's "Pecked to Death by Ducks."

Thomas Carlyle's "The French Revolution."

C.F. Foster's "Vivid Faces."

Tony Horwitz's "Blue Latitudes."

Ryszard Kapuściński's "Imperium", "The Shadow of the Sun", "Shah of Shahs", and "The Soccer War."

Nathaniel Philbrick's "In the Heart of the Sea", "Mayflower" and "Sea of Glory."

The Hot Zone by Richard Preston

The Code Book by Simon Singh

Fordlandia by Greg Grandin

Radio Priest by Donald Warren

• j153e

Malcolm Gladwell and Bill Bryson write such.

Also,

The Path of the Higher Self;

101 Things All Young Adults Should Know;

Quarter-Life Crisis;

Flow by Mihaly C.;

Hyperspace;

The Yoga of Nutrition;

Dr. Mary's Monkey;

The Search for the Manchurian Candidate;

For Couples Only;

Tavistock Institute by Daniel Estulin;

The Illuminati by Jim Marrs; like Walking among Us by Dr. David Jacobs, classified as non-fiction;

Springtime for Snowflakes;

A Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe;

Answers by Mother Meera;

Autobiography of a Yogi;

Beams from Meher Baba;

Physics from Finance;

Dawn of the Code War;

American Buddhist Rebel;

Through the Curtain;

Ladies of the Rope;

God's Doorkeepers by Joel Schorn;

The Quantum and the Lotus.

the bible would be an interesting one to read

It depends what you like, but Bill Gates offers suggestions of books he's read and liked. I borrowed a book he recommended and I enjoyed it. I borrowed it in audio form. It was an autobiography of Nike founder Phil Knight called Shoe Dog. But there are many others of various topics he recommends.

"Knife Man". A historical fictionalized account of the person who modernized surgery in the 18th century.

I like "What Color Is Your Parachute?" about figuring out what skills you have and finding work that fits them; and "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" about developing ways of being with people that helps you listen better and work better.