Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionOther - Television · 6 months ago

Would Stranger Things have been as big if it wasn't based in the 80s?

I personally think that it's extremely unoriginal, but I do admit that it has a very good aesthetic appeal. Anyway, do you think it would have been as big if it was based in the 2010s?

I think the retro throwback adds an element of interest to it. Still would have been successful if set in present day, but maybe not as successful.

Probably. It would be different, but still popular.

Nope. There's nothing original about it. Plus imagine a 2010s soundtrack with the sh!tty music we have now.

I think it could have taken place in pretty much any time between the 50s and early 90s for the story to work. No cell phones, internet, etc. but they still have walkie-talkies, the Cold War, etc. I think the creators chose the 80s because that was when they were children themselves.

• Ducky

The story is far from unique, it’s main selling point is the 80s nostalgia which explains why it was much more prominent in the 3rd season