My PC cant connect to the internet, any fixes?

My PC cant connect to the internet when my brothers PC is connected, but if any other device is connected my PC works fine, only if his PC is connected then my PC cant connect.

Seems so weird only started happening recently, we ve both had these PC s for more than a year.

• Roddy

The most common problem causing this sort of symptom is that the two computers are using the same IP address.

Whether that are connected via ethernet or WiFi, you can give each a fixed (and different) IP address. Go into the config and check what address each has. If they are both the same then increase the last digit of HIS IP address by 10 (e.g. turn 192.168.1.3 into 192.168.1.13) and see if that fixes the problem.

Of course, you may need to check every IP connected device in the house to ensure that you don't inadvertently pick an address already used by one of them.

It is a good idea to maintain a master list of IP allocations on your home network as these days not only computers but also printers; X-Boxes, etc; TV sets/set top boxes; and many other devices are using IP addresses.

• ron h

in your computer and in your bro's look for network settings to set BOTH IP add's to "DHCP" Unless there's a reason to do that differently, that should work. It's common to have to set a printer or web / security cam to a fixed / static IP add, but it's not common to need to do that with a 'puter

• David

Are you sure he isn't disabling your internet access via the router?

It is possible but unusual you may have an IP address conflict

go to start

in the run box type cmd.exe

A new command prompt windows will open

Type ipconfig /release

Type ipconfig /renew

type exit

restart the computer,