Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 6 months ago

After staying in a Schengen area for 90 days are you allowed to get a visa that allows you to work in Europe w/o leaving for 90 days before?


As an American citizen you are allowed to visit Schengen countries for up to 90 days per every 180 days. So my question is if you went to a Schengen country and stayed for 90 days are you then allowed to apply for a work visa that grants you entry and residence before those 180 days are up.

For example: If I stay in Spain for 90 days am I then allowed to apply for a visa to work in France that would start only 30 days after my initial visit and therefore not after the 180 days are up?

Update 2:

I won't need a tourist visa as an American citizen. The question is more about the time. Can I get a visa in a European country after already spending 90 days in Europe without having to wait 90 more days to re-enter the Schengen area?

2 Answers

  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer


    If you want a work visa for a European country (no such thing as a European-wide visa for this), you need to apply from your home country; you can't do it in Europe.

    You also can't work or look for work as a tourist.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    Having once held a tourist visa is irrelevant to being able to get a work visa in the future. But as it takes longer than 90 days to process a work visa the time thing won't be a problem.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.