After staying in a Schengen area for 90 days are you allowed to get a visa that allows you to work in Europe w/o leaving for 90 days before?

Update: As an American citizen you are allowed to visit Schengen countries for up to 90 days per every 180 days. So my question is if you went to a Schengen country and stayed for 90 days are you then allowed to apply for a work visa that grants you entry and residence before those 180 days are up. For example: If I stay... show more As an American citizen you are allowed to visit Schengen countries for up to 90 days per every 180 days. So my question is if you went to a Schengen country and stayed for 90 days are you then allowed to apply for a work visa that grants you entry and residence before those 180 days are up.

For example: If I stay in Spain for 90 days am I then allowed to apply for a visa to work in France that would start only 30 days after my initial visit and therefore not after the 180 days are up?
Update 2: I won't need a tourist visa as an American citizen. The question is more about the time. Can I get a visa in a European country after already spending 90 days in Europe without having to wait 90 more days to re-enter the Schengen area?