Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 5 months ago

250cc for a beginner?

So im 15 years old im 172cm tall i never rode a dirt bike i rode a 50cc auto moped thats all experience i have and now i want to buy a dirt bike i thought of getting a 4 stroke 250cc dirt bike because i think 125 isnt gonna cut it.

Should i do it or go with a 125cc?

• JetDoc

It's a DIRT BIKE! Unless you are racing in motocross or some other competitive sport, it really doesn't make that much difference. You're STILL going to fall off occasionally and maybe hurt yourself. Buy what you can afford to pay for!

Source(s): More than 50 years of motorcycle riding experience and still around to talk about it.
  • don r

You may do well on a dual sport 250 or street 250. The 250 Ninja is pretty quick and freeway legal. You did your time on a moped, so the basics are mostly covered. It'll take you a day to get good at shifting gears. Falling down on dirt trails will embarrass you, but not break you to bits like sliding asss down the freeway after cutting off a slow box truck and some idiot changes into your lane not seeing you cut in from the other side.

A 125 can buck you off and make you eat dirt. It is called gearing. Are you always going to ride it on road(boring) or off road? One involves jumps and track racing and the other pits you against cars and cars don't give a schitt.

a 250 4 stroke is a DOG, a gutless wonder... compared to a 2 stroke. Much heavier too. Many males taller than you race 125cc. You outgrow anything. That is normal.

And yet people by the pocket rockets. The tiny street bikes...and scrunch up on them.

• Cap'n. America

We have millions of acres of fallow desert. Much more than pavement. Jumps Never get: "boring". Just ride off county maintained road, there you are. I wish sometimes I had an Enduro to explore these roads.

• Dimo

I have never understood dirt only motorcycles. Useless unless you have many acres of your own property, or have BLM or Forest land next to your property. With a dirt only bike you need to truck or trailer to land to play on, or ride illegally. At 15, you can probably get your motorcycle license/endorsement, and legally ride a dual-sport bike from home to dirt.

I had a 1974 Yamaha 175cc Enduro (what they now call a dual-sport) that I rode for 13 years, in La La Land and out in the Mojave. My uncle went with me, with him on his Suzuki RV125. But, yeah, you are 15 years of age and of course you need a 250cc -- only adults are good enough to ride small bikes fast.

• Cap'n. America

Anywhere Not signed no off road is legal. That includes hundreds of thousands of acres. It is generally only in city limits or ag land that is posted. Same with shooting--if no sign Not to, you can shoot your automatic AK (if registered and you have paperwork on you.)

Depends on the type of riding you wish to do. A 250 is made more for track riding/racing but if you want a trail-bike a Honda CRF 230 or Yamaha TTR 230 are better for that.

Most 250s sit a bit taller but both the CRF and TTR are lower for the beginner riders.

Source(s): Riding/racing for 55+ yrs.

Go with the 250. If you ride it a sufficient amount, you will outgrow the 125 in short time.

250 cc should be fine (unless you are very stupid, and I do not think that)

Get the 250. You'll out-grow a 125 in no time.