Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 5 months ago

Gas heated water affecting hair ?

I have recently moved into a house where the hot water is heated by a gas boiler ... my previous homes were all economy 7 electric heated boilers.. and i have noticed a massive difference in my hair and my daughters hair where it looks dirty a few hours after washing it ... could this be down to the fact the water is heated by gas as its never happened before

You probably have recycled water from you septic system.

The way in which the water is heated is irrelevant to the symptoms you are having with your hair.

It is the water. ALL water is not created equal. I have had well water supplied to my home for decades. I had to temporarily move into a relatives home to help them in their old age. They had town water that was treated with chemicals. My hair color began to change due to their water and it felt "straw-like". So, I got better conditioners and used styling hair products.

When I moved back home, my hair felt like silk again and now it is shinier and healthier looking and back to my natural color.

So, I am going to assume the same thing or something similar with the water, not the heater, is causing a change in your hair. Perhaps you should use a product that has shampoo and conditioner in one because perhaps conditioning your hair after shampooing is the cause of your hair looking greasy. I would experiment with different shampoos until you find the one that works. If you want to remove all of the product residue in your hair, put 2T of baking soda in your palm with your shampoo and it will leave your hair super clean.

• John P

Indeed it is the source of the water, not the way it is heated, which is the important factor. Ask your neighbours if they have similar experiences with hair washing.

The water itself changed. That's your issue. Heat is heat. But water is not water. You probably had.nice soft water before and now have hard water. Hard water does not clean as well because it does not allow detergents or shampoos to do their thing. You probably noticed less suds in your washer too. Use more shampoo. Think about a water softener.

You moved. So the water source is different. Heating does not make a difference as it just makes the water hot without touching the water. Water is inside a metal tank. Maybe the one place has a water softener and the other place doesn't. Maybe it is time to change shampoo brands. Daughters are growing up and hair is getting oilier or just changing. Lighting is better where you are now? Roads are dustier? More traffic.?

the gas never touches the water so gas heated water is not the issue.

You may have hard water though and that can definitely make a difference.

Install a water softener,. The difference is astonishing. Nothing to do with gas water heating

Source(s): I have a water softener.

Sounds like you have hard water. Do you have a well, or city water. Most likely well water needs a water-softer.

• paul

not the heater . it is the water . coming from a different source

• Andy C

Your water is probably hard. There are whole house softeners.

• Lili

How the water is heated should make no difference whatsoever. It's the quality of the water -- what's in it -- affecting your hair.