Is it true that all microchips are is a silcon wafer with wires?

Update:

when i look at microchips they do not look highly complex. I could easily build a microchip at home if i have the means to melt silicon and can shape tiny wires.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Bill
    Lv 4
    5 months ago
    Best Answer

After you have read all the replies, which are correct btw, why not prove us wrong by making a macro sized chip using wires and sheets of glass. Glass is nothing but silicon dioxide and wires are easy to obtain.

Lay out a sheet of glass, wrap and entangle the wires to your specifications and place in on the glass. Lay another sheet on top. Vioila, a macrochip.

Report back how it works.

• 5 months ago

A microchip is a great deal of work. You have the work of the design team. But they stand on the shoulders of the people who came before them, as well as people that create tools and software for designing and building computer chips. Then there are the people working in the mines or wherever gathering the basic chemicals and elements required for the structure and process.

Then there is the math behind it all. A history of which goes back hundreds of years, thousands of years.

Everything looks simple, but we stand on the shoulders of the best minds and the most bent backs.

• 5 months ago

Michael Think about it. If it were easy to make microchips, something you can do at home, wouldn't many others do that. Maybe you figure you are smarter than others who have looked at this problem, maybe you are. A thin mechanical pencil is .5mm wide. The line it make is .5mm or about .020". An old technology chip, I mean decades old, has 5 micron line width. That means 100 traces or 50 traces and 50 spaces of old old technology fits in one thin pencil line. You can do that easy? Good for you, superhuman.

• Who
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

if you are serious and live close to a chip manufacturer go to their public relations and ask if they will show you how chips are,made

Its not likely they will but it is possible - and there is no harm in asking

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

" I could easily build a microchip at home if i have the means to melt silicon and can shape tiny wires."

No you can't. You need very expensive equipment and a (very) clean-room.

Source(s): There's a huge chip-factory nickamed "the cathedrale" not far from where I live. It's owned by NXP (used to be owned by Philips) and exports the chips around the world
  • qrk
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Ahh, ignorance is bliss!

Try this experiment at home and see how successful you are...

Take any substrate and perform vapor deposition of aluminum to make the tiny wires. Heck, go old school and make a 5 micron wide wire. You can do this as a paper study. That's the easy part. Hint, you need to set up a photo lithography system to do this.

Next, make a diode. That's the next easiest device.

Report back and tell us if it's easy.

BTW, there are other substrates beside silicon out there.

• 5 months ago

No, some don't have wires. They use a ball grid array.

• 5 months ago

Wrong, it contains million of transistors, resistors,capacitors ,diode and chokes that are built on multi-layers silicon layer which has NPN,PNP...structure layers.

• Dixon
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

There are also doped regions to make the transistors. The deal is that you probably could make a transistor and attach wires given the raw ingredients and an oven. What you would find much harder is to make a functional circuit with over billion (Yes Billion) interconnected transistors on a single wafer

• 5 months ago

Yes - and no...

Before the wires are attached, the silicon wafer has other elements diffused in to it in patterns defined by optical masks, plus layers of oxide created or removed, more silicon or metal added etc. - again, all controlled by optical masks.

The end result is a 3D structure of insulators, conductors, transistors, resistors and other components formed within the depth of the silicon wafer itself.

The machines to do all that are massively complex and expensive....

A piece of plain, pure, silicon on its own may be able to be used as a single crude point contact diode or transistor, but that's about it.

And ps. The silicon itself must be reformed in to a single large, perfect crystal before the wafers are cut from it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.