What does income tax mean for FAFSA?

Im filling out my fafsa and its asking me what my income tax was for 2017, is this how much money i made or is it my Federal income tax withheld?

• nancy

It is the amount of tax you actually paid, not the amount of money you made or the amount that was withheld. If you filed a tax return, you'll find this number on line 56 of a 1040 tax return.

• di

It means the amount of your withholding the federal government KEPT. 1040 line 56- line 46, 1040A line 28 - line 36, or 1040EZ line 10. The instructions will tell you which line to use for the tax form you filed.

just the taxes, not how rnuch rnoney you rnade

I haven't filled out the FAFSA in a several years, but as I recall it asks for the value on a specific line on the 1040.

• In

Instructions for filling out your student loan application are in the link. Have you considered going to a community college then transferring to a 4 year institution? You can get just as good an education and save a ton of money. Starting off your career with a huge debt can adversely affect you for many years to come.

It doesn’t mean anything. You are not smart