Meagan asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 5 months ago

Alternative to plastic bags?

I posted this in the health care forum and got negative answers so I will try it here:

I work at a large hospital in radiology. For each patient.. we use a thick plastic bag to cover the X-ray board to keep germs and fluids off of the board itself. Adding up that’s hundreds of bags a day. I’m aware it’s a small issue... but I’d like to make a difference. Is there an alternative to plastic that could be used ?

This makes no sense and cleaning it off between patients makes more sense with soap.

Patients who need gowns could use clothe ones and they could be washed after each use and provide them in a few different sizes so no one has to be embarrassed. I had a doctor that did that and it saves on the environment because it uses up less resources.

• F

Control of infections is the priority here. When we've solved all the other problems, look at emergency services, but let them get on with their jobs properly without worrying if they are green or not.

• Mr. P

Medical waste is a tricky one because before use it must be sterile - so that leads to a lot of single use items.

The only thing I can think of is to use the same type of plastic as disposable aprons and separate the waste for recycling as plastic film.

This is already done within farming for the black silage wrap....and it can't be more contaminated than that.

Lets cut down a few more trees and use PAPER. ;-(

• Katie

What about old pillow case/sheets cut down and made into small bags - they can be washed in between uses.

• Gabe

Paper bags are the alternative to plastic bags

Hundreds of bags per day... That's a lot but unfortunately i don't think there is an alternative since hygiene is important...

• Tyler

you'll need something reuseable and easy to clean. heavy duty plastic or vinyl, like those old clear furniture covers, could be a good material. the issue will be in making sure that they are clean. it is much easier to just throw the "infected" cover out rather than the time and money to sterilize. A UV light could be useful, or wipes. idk what kind of sterilization would be proper

"Those Californian ugly brown bags" - Alex Jones

Alex Jones wants to kill all the animals in the world because God only loves him and wants all the animals of the world to suffer