Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 5 months ago

What am I supposed to do with my life now?

I am so scared. It seems like everyone around me has had this lifelong interests and passion, and are certain about their major and career for the future. I am only 17, close to being 18. Senior year is starting soon. I feel so dumb for not thinking too much about it back then growing up and I regret it now. I don’t know what to do. I like things like English, literature, and the philosophy of religion or sometimes politics. I have knowledge on adobe premiere pro and editing, I am even certified in it. Regardless, I am not sure if any of this is my passion or what I am meant to do. I feel left out and behind. I don’t know what I’m doing and I am all alone on this it seems.

You may consider taking a year off before you go to college to think about what you want to study before committing to anything. I don't know if they offer this at your school, but you can also take a victory lap, where you can take more courses and find out what you want to do. Also a guidance counselor at your school is a great resource!! They know how to help students who do not know what they want to study, and they could have great suggestions for you!:) Remember do not stress too much about it, the future will unfold whatever passion or dream you set out for. Just be patient. You got this!

• cool

'It seems like everyone around me has had this lifelong interests and passion, and are certain about their major and career for the future.'

You are probably overestimating the foresight of your peers.

If you really have no idea what you might want to do then use the apprenticeship search page linked below.

Apprenticeships are more rigorous, lucrative and enjoyable than university degrees. They also involve zero debt.

Id start looking at courses you want to do, maybe speak to careers team etc. You're not alone, many people at 17 feel your way. Think about pathways to take

Try community colleges.

Stop thinking you're meant to do something it's thought control

I'll let you in on a secret -- 95% of your school mates don't know what to do either. They're in the same boat as you are.

And word of warning -- literature majors can't find jobs. Neither can philosophers or English majors. Go for a degree in a field that actually is hiring. Save your passions for your private learning. Your day job needs to support you.

• j153e

You might check for Adobe-related training programs at https://www.rwm.org if that is a way for you to hold a day job, hence finance a community college to state college/uni bachelor's degree. In time frame, 19-20 for Adobe expertise, 21-22 for community college, general programs that transfer credits to college/uni, 23-24 for bachelor's, with rather less student loan indebtedness. Knowing yourself helps uncover truer interests; knowing yourself means knowing your inner child or soul, its Source of creativity, and championing and defending that, rather as Holden Caulfield sensed phony or childish inauthenticity which marks the more beastly or fallen nature of mankind.

Related:

Understanding Yourself by Mark Prophet;

Youth: Creators of the Future;

Man, Master of His Destiny;

The Slightest Philosophy by Quee Nelson;

The Great Divorce;

Chicken Soup for the Soul: Think Positive;

101 Things All Young Adults Should Know;

For Couples Only.

alright, first of all, it's going to be okay. regardless of how it may seem, most people don't actually have a clue what they want to do with their life, or they think they do but they end up changing their mind later on anyways. a year ago, i was in your place, and now i'm basically still in it and i'm going to college next month. and, even though it may seem like it, it's seriously not the end of the world if you go into college undecided, trust me. i visited quite a few colleges, and they all had pretty good undeclared/exploratory programs that really helped incoming freshmen narrow down their choices and find a major before the start of their sophomore year. plus, in college you can take classes or sit in on classes and find what you really like. a lot of times, it's a good idea to go in open minded than to feel pressured and choose one only to end up changing it later. literally, if you do this, you'll be fine. if you really do want to settle on a major, make sure it's not because you feel pressured. take some online career aptitude tests, talk to your guidance counselor at school or someone who helps students with applying, letters of rec, etc. they'll know how to advise you and what resources to give to push you in the right direction. also, talk to the people who know you best and see what they can see you doing in the future. you might be surprised. above all, it's going to be okay and you don't need to be so stressed. choose something you're passionate about, or wait until you find that thing. just remember that whatever you choose, you're never truly stuck in it unless you believe you are. good luck!

• You have some ideas for what you want to do but not a narrow outlook. If you get into any subject, it is good to specialize and master it. Narrowing it down further can take some time. Truth be told, as long as you going to college with the likely-hood of getting a job in that specialization that pays for your subsistence, you'll be fine. You can always open more doors while walking down a single path.