Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 6 months ago

What do you do when you have writers block?

I usually listen to music with no singing, and take walks! And I free write as well!

Sit down and free write. Think not at all. Allow the pen freedom. You'll be surprised what floats to the surface.

no inspiration

no ideas

no thoughts

no nothing

• Joe

You gotta do what the greats do...muscle through it. Even putting out a few pages of garbage will slowly start getting your brain adjusted to finer writing. And, this is crucial, don't mistake writers block for writers being lazy. If you're feeling lazy and don't feel like working at it, that's just you. Go to a ball game and get a beer and a dog. Leave writing to the writers. It's hard work and you may not be that into it.

• Tina

Remind myself that if I'm not writing I will have to do some housework.

I set a timer to 10 minutes, place my butt in the chair and write. It's hard at first, but after a few days with 10 minute "sprints", I'm usually good again. That is, right until I take the next writing break, even if it's just one day, then I have to start all over again.

• Andrew

It's never happened to me. You see, I have this crazy thing I do - it's called READING. I find it to be quite helpful as a source of ideas. In fact, I accrue so many that I'm forced to write them down on scraps of paper or to save them in draft e-mails to myself. Then, when it's time to begin a new story, I sort through all the ideas I have and see which ones might be the most promising for forming the skeleton to a plot. And if something comes to me in a dream, or if I come across something in a conversation or see something on television or wherever I might get a bit of inspiration, I'll add that to the pile as well. But the ideas primarily come from reading.

If you don't read - and read a lot, you're not going to have a variety of different ideas at your disposal for whenever you might be in need of one.

Wait until it passes.

• 6 months agoReport

i feel guilty for not trying.

I roll a nice fat blunt always helps.

https://youtu.be/qXnT3LFTc-s

Youtube thumbnail

I do something else. Forcing myself to write without having a good idea will lead to nothing of good.

I might ruin the entire story written so far.