Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 6 months ago

Getting married and financial aid?

My boyfriend and I want to get married on God’s eyes. Only by church because if we get married by law our financial aid will be affected. My question is if getting married by church will also affect my financial aid. And if I have to sign on fafsa as single if o get married only by church.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • di
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

"ON" God's eyes? How do you do THAT?

• Login to reply the answers
  • nancy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

For federal student aid purposes, only a legal marriage counts. Although most states recognized marriages performed in church by a clerical person, in most cases you need to apply to the state for a marriage license in order for it to be considered a legal marriage.

• 6 months ago

Married is married. If you are married PRIOR to completing your FAFSA, you report "married", and include YOUR and YOUR SPOUSE's income for the "base" year - for the 2019-2020 FAFSA, that would be 2017.

• 6 months ago

In the US, a church marriage is an officially recognized marriage. I don't understand why it would affect your financial aid, though. You might be considered emancipated from your parents, and assessed only on your own incomes. You really need to talk to the financial aid office about this.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

you need to ask financial aid and your church about it

• ...Show all comments
    • John6 months agoReport

Either way, if you are married ON THE DAY YOU APPLY FOR AID, then your eligibility will be calculated differently. If you apply before getting married, then it will mean absolutely nothing. Either way, being married COULD potentially be to your advantage.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.