Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 6 months ago

Getting married and financial aid?

My boyfriend and I want to get married on God’s eyes. Only by church because if we get married by law our financial aid will be affected. My question is if getting married by church will also affect my financial aid. And if I have to sign on fafsa as single if o get married only by church.

• di

"ON" God's eyes? How do you do THAT?

• nancy

For federal student aid purposes, only a legal marriage counts. Although most states recognized marriages performed in church by a clerical person, in most cases you need to apply to the state for a marriage license in order for it to be considered a legal marriage.

Married is married. If you are married PRIOR to completing your FAFSA, you report "married", and include YOUR and YOUR SPOUSE's income for the "base" year - for the 2019-2020 FAFSA, that would be 2017.

In the US, a church marriage is an officially recognized marriage. I don't understand why it would affect your financial aid, though. You might be considered emancipated from your parents, and assessed only on your own incomes. You really need to talk to the financial aid office about this.

you need to ask financial aid and your church about it

• John6 months agoReport

Either way, if you are married ON THE DAY YOU APPLY FOR AID, then your eligibility will be calculated differently. If you apply before getting married, then it will mean absolutely nothing. Either way, being married COULD potentially be to your advantage.