no asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles Β· 6 months ago

If you're riding a motorbike in the rain, how do you get the water off of your visor?

What do you do if you cannot stop and your visor has drops all over it? for example if you're on the motorway you can't stop and wipe it off or something. I'd like to know because I am thinking of purchasing one in the future.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Use rain x.........

• Login to reply the answers
  • Fred
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

There are dedicated motorcycle gloves with a small wiper sewed into the left index finger to wipe the visor. It works very well and makes some of the annoyance of the rain go away!

It is, however, slightly annoying to wear such gloves when it's not raining!

There are also full face helmets that come equipped with breath defectors that eliminate some of the inside condensation... The vote is undecided if the annoyance outweighs the benefit?

Some gloves have attached bags that fold up in a package on the gauntlet you can turn inside out over the outside of the gloves to keep your hands dry in rain a relief in cold weather... It a certain bet you never have the most appropriate glove at the right time!

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Because the visor is curved and as you drive you are blowing wind against the visor, the water goes to the edges and off the back of your helmet. You are never going THAT SLOW. The first couple drops evaporate in the still warm air. You never need 100% clear vision to ride.

. In the snow, yes but you should not be driving motorcycle in the snow.

TOO COLD

• fuzzy
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

RainX is a product that actually works - rain water doesn't bead on the treated surface, it flows out into a thin even film you can see through easily. If you have none a quick wipe over with a tissue dipped in a quality dishwashing detergent will give the same effect for a few hours. Also if you check many quality motor cycle gloves have a suede patch on the back of the left thumb specifically for wiping across the visor.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Rain is a bit of a problem but easy to take care of.

Thick fog is a big problem where I live, the moisture doesn't flow off so it's wipe-city.

Nearly got gored by a deer in the fog, wiped and there were the tips of the antlers inches from the visor. (had to wipe something else when I got to work).

Source(s): Riding/racing for 55+ yrs.
  • Turn your head to the left and right and the wind will blow the rain drops off. You can help this process by spraying your visor with RAIN X which causes the water to bead and run off more easily.

• Tim D
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

At motorway speeds a clean visor will let water be driven off unless it is a fine shower, If water gathers I tilt my head slightly to change the direction of the wind hitting it and that does help.

It is when you are going slower that rain becomes more difficult to shift.

I have tried products like Rain-X and so on, which work well, but they also cause oncoming headlights to flare at night which can be distracting.

• 6 months ago

A visor surface is tightly radiused compared to a flat car windscreen and the rain beads up and runs off by itself. If it is clean and polished, even better. However if that's not doing it for you, you can Vee-Wipes - These are one piece rubber tubes with a blade moulded on that looks a bit like a car windscreen wiper. They fit over the index finger of your glove and you can sweep it across the visor if it's not clearing itself in the slipstream. Some moto gloves also have a suede/chamois patch on the index finger for the purpose. Not the sports gloves, the more touring oriented ones. BTW..unrelated to your question but maybe useful, using an amber/yellow visor (if you can find one for your helmet) enhances visibility in dull conditions by amplifying the yellow end of the visible light spectrum and makes things look brighter.

• joe
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Wipe it down with Rain-x

Best wishes

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Let the wind blow it off. Wipe off with left glove with squeegee thumb...

Visibility is diminished drastically if you don't have a fairing.

Source(s): Ridden in a lot of rain down to just above freezing temps.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.