Do you have to give 2 weeks notice before you quit a job?

I wanna quit bad but I dunno the rules

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Best Answer

There is no law that says you must. It's an accepted - and expected - practice. You can expect an employer you just up and quit on to give a negative referral to any future employers you apply with. You might think it doesn't matter, you already have another job. Well, the average person starting out today is likely to work for ten or more different employers in their working years.

• curtisports2
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Saying 'no, I wouldn't hire that person again' IS a negative referral. What the H is wrong with you?

• 4 months ago

usually you should if you want a good reference but if you hate them then who cares use a different reference

• 5 months ago

Most Jobs require you to give a two week notice before you quit.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It's not legally required but is very rude not to

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Yes. If you want to leave on good terms.

• 5 months ago

I believe you can give proper notice. It all depends on your employer. Before quitting, LOOK for more work, so your transition will be seemless.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

For a past good reference it is a good idea to give 2 weeks notice. That is to say if you plan on using them as a reference for future job applications. Sometimes you are forced to just quit with no notice.

• It's generally good form and manners to give a 2 weeks notice, since that gives your employer time to find a replacement and to schedule everybody else accordingly, but in general you can just up and quit whenever you want.

• 5 months ago

It depends on your employment agreement, which MAY be a general one, as set by the government.

However, it's a good idea to give at least two weeks notice, If the employer chooses, he/she/it may end the emloyment immediately.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

You have asked this a half dozen times today. STOP IT.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.