Is this a scam that Goodwill is just trying to pull?

I walked into my local Goodwill store today, picked up several small kitchen appliances, and went up to the front counter to pay for them. After the cashier rang up the order, she told me that she had no more plastic bags, and that my only option besides carrying a handful of stuff home, would be to purchase Goodwill Cary-all bag for $1.00. I am reluctantly agreed. I had no choice, because I had no car, and I had five different items on the counter. Is this some kind of B.S or what?

Favorite Answer

Nope. Every store is doing that to reduce on the amount of plastic that goes into the environment. However a plastic grocery bag is 5cents so I always carry a bag in my pocket. Sounds like you bought a cloth bag. The government demands it of the stores to reduce the bags or charge you to purchase a bag.

It is becoming more and more popular for stores not to provide bags to their customers. This is an effort to reduce the consumption of plastic bags that often end up polluting our environment while having a negative impact on animals, as well.

It is very common for people to carry their own tote bags these days. Some grocery stores are also adapting the bring your own bag policy or buy theirs.

Since you are a walker, it would be a wise idea for you to invest in some sturdy carrying bags so you never find yourself in the same position of having to buy one while shopping. I "invested" in ten of those light weight vinyl bags with webbed handles and use them all of the time. It is a good idea to buy them in several sizes so you have what you need for your purchases.

One of my bags is made out of windbreaker fabric and folds into a tiny little strawberry shape with a clip for hands free carrying until needed.

No, it isn't. In the UK, it has been against the law to provide free bags for over 5 years. SO, we ALL get in the habit of always having bags with us when we go shopping. Plastic is destroying the planet. Get a grip, grow up, and take bags with you when you go shopping.

sounds like he is slick..maybe maybe not

their prices ought to cover expenses,,( like more moremore tax)

labor,15 bucks an hour in blue cities,,non skilled customer service jobs

cities prefer they go out of business,so a high roller real estate guy can remodel & convert the bldg into expensive condos for the uber young 30 somethings.

I have to agree. Goodwill now culls all their good donations to a website, has raised the store prices to Walmart levels, and there really isn't a good reason to go there anymore. "Mine still offers bags."

• B

not a scam, bring your own bags next time

Not a scam but not professional. They should make an effort to supply some bags or a box. I wouldn't call it a scam, just rude, bad service. SNAFU. They could have given you the bag for free. If you spoke to someone in management you could probably get satisfaction--but is it worth it? No.

• hamel5

Some towns and cities have passed rules that prohibit plastic bags. Maybe the Goodwill was in one of those areas.

Anyway - you saved a bunch shopping at Goodwill, so $1 shouldn't kill you. Bring your own bag next time.

Since when is ANY business required to give you something at no cost? The fact that many stores do is immaterial...it's THEIR business.

• Lolly

Welcome to 2019.

No scam, happened to me over the years