Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentFood Service · 5 months ago

Does criticizing a co worker work publicly bullying ?

lets say you tell a co worker that he/she does a poor job on her task in front of other co workers..would that be considered workplace bullying

11 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Yes! And it is non of your business any way your not Management are you. That is directed bulling!

• tabdor
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

Yes. Public shaming/humiliation is a form of bullying.

• Kate
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It is considered bullying, innapropriate, rude.

• That's defiantly NOT cool. I wouldn't call it bullying but putting other people down like that isn't right. The co worker could go straight to the manager and report you for trying to tell them what to do, when you're not her boss.

If you have issues with your co worker, bring it up with your manager / boss / supervisor. Or take them aside and tell them what they're doing wrong. There's no need to embarrass them in front of other co workers and or customers. Put your self in their shoes, would you like some one doing that to you.... probably not.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Never heard of THAT one before ..

• 28AKO
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

That's not bullying and definitely not away to tell someone about their work ethics in a negative way in front of others. You pull someone aside and tell them what they need to work on

• Judy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It's not bullying, but is VERY improper.

• Dr. D
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Depends. Was it constructive criticism or destructive criticism.

Constructive criticism is when flaws are pointed out in an attempt to help the person improve. Usually the criticism is accompanied with helpful suggestions on how the person can improve their performance. The person giving the criticism may offer to help and commit some time to mentor the person. At the same time the criticism is offered the person's good points should also be recognized. It is not intended to hurt, but to benefit.

Destructive criticism is only meant to hurt, humiliate, or bully the individual. Destructive criticism may not even be fair, or accurate. The person subjected to destructive criticism is not offered any help, and nothing positive is send.

• Speed
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It's not your job to evaluate the work of other employees, since you're not their supervisor. I don't know if it meets the legal definition of bullying, but it's not acceptable behavior even if the person is doing a poor job.

I read Ask A Manager most days, so I know the person to take this to isn't the underperforming colleague but your own supervisor. "I can't do [specific task] because co-worker's report is [inaccurate/late/absent]. What do you want me to do instead?" This places the responsibility for someone doing a bad job at work where it belongs, and focuses on how the business operates and co-workers are impacted in light of their job performance.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

You really need to stop posting this crap. You've done it a dozen times.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.