Simon
Simon asked in TravelAsia PacificChina · 5 months ago

I am going to China, want to bring a phone. Does cell phone service exist in CHINA? Is use of cell phones restricted or prohibited in China?

Use of cell phones is not restricted or prohibited in China. Unless your in a local cinema, threater or some parts of government buildings.

• james

A American cell phone will not work there. So you will need to buy a Chines one there & sim card. Around U.S. $40 for a decent one there. With sim card. & 3 day load. You will need buy a load also. They will put you on the high priced service as you do not know cell plans there. Also China now requires when you buy a phone there to show your passport & they will record the passport number. Also required if you buy a new sim card there. Use is not restricted but they do listen in. The new ATM machines there. You must remove your hat & glass's as it takes your photo to use many of them now in China.

• oldprof

Total BS...I was sitting in the HK airport just this past May and texting all my family back in the States with my Galaxy S9 phone. All I needed to do was inform my carrier ATT and arrange for an overseas temporary program. Cost me $10 per day, but if and only if I used the phone.

• RICK

Most American phones will not work in most Asian countries

You would need to buy a sim card to call locally

I have a Huawei phone and I am able to use it in China. You might have to get a sim card which will be a fun process for you. I teach English in China so usually, my school will help me with that. In China just make a point to not disrupt the social harmony of the country. Act like you are going to a friend's house. Be polite to the Chinese, avoid conflicts and leave your American exceptionalist ideologies at home. Despite what others might say. Chinese people are wonderful. They are very friendly and helpful. I love living in China and cannot wait until I can return again.

• sam

YES, some places better than usa and cheaper. buy a card on their network there. Make sure your phone is unlocked.

• Toruko

China voiced some advice for English speakers.

"Don't say we didn't warn you". It also halted all

shipments to English speakers of its rare earths.

Something it did twice before. Before using its

military against foreign nations. I recommend

recalling what happened to USA citizens in Asia

following an Asian attack of Hawaii on a Sunday

morning.

Bring some pigeons as a back up plan.

I believe that it is restricted.

• james

They now requirw when you buy a phone or sim car to show your passport. & they do record the passport number.

< Does cell phone service exist in CHINA? >

Duh, yes.