Rick
Rick asked in Social ScienceEconomics · 1 year ago

Do you think the state or federal government should buy apartment buildings to keep rentals safe & affordable?

1 year ago

I bet these "capitalists" on here would also be opposed to private boarding homes and would promote outrageous zoning laws to enrich monopolistic real estate moguls.

Piggy backing and rent seeking off the government is not capitalism.

But to answer your question, private charities would house the needy. Not the government.

The government is very inefficient at doing its job, so no.

1 year ago

I don't know if they *should*, but I'm sure it would help society as a whole if they did

• Oiy
    1 year ago

The state can do many things, ceiling price, sell off, or even relax the regulations. But you may know about the deadweight loss. Or learn the history like in NY.

1 year ago

Most of the really shitty housing is already housing where the government has intervened. And you want the government to ruin MORE?

• 1 year ago

No- that's what was known as the "projects". Rent control also didn't work very well in New York. But I just read that a company in Texas is using 3D printers to put up 350 square foot houses in 2 days. The ability to put up cheap, fast houses could go a long way to bringing down housing prices.

• 1 year ago

NO but I do think laws ought to be made to keep rents in comparable to pay in the area that would be fair to most renters.Everyone deserves a home they can afford.

• 1 year ago

State and local governments have done this before.

They are called "the projects" and are usually drug and crime infested hellholes.

• 1 year ago

No. Housing is not the business of the government.

• Robin
    1 year ago

no because you live in a free market so what do you expect

• 1 year ago

State and federal gov't are so bad at everything they do that this would probably do more harm than good.