? asked in TravelAsia PacificChina · 7 months ago

If a Chinese person googles something in Hong Kong that is forbidden in China would they be arrested back in China?

Make sure you read ...in Hong Kong

No, they would be fine. They could even do that in their home back in mainland China as along as they have a VPN. It is very common in China, this is why you see so many comments written in simplified Chinese on YouTube, they were made by Mainlanders.

No.

I lived and worked in Hong Kong for seven years until last December.

Hong Kong has a separate legal system and different laws to the PRC. Google is widely used every day by almost all online HK residents, and there is no legal penalty. I also never encountered any online censorship: I don’t claim it does not happen. I just never experienced it.

But the question was whether the PRC would arrest a HK citizen if they entered PRC and were known to have viewed “banned” content. The answer is a plain and simple “No”.

Lots of laws are different between PRC and HK: one glaring example is that in the PRC the Falun Gong movement is illegal and forbidden. But in HK it’s not, and Falun Gong operates openly within the laws of HK as long as they do not break other laws regarding threats of harm to others or incitement break any laws.

I’m not comfortable with the proposed extradition law from HK to PRC because I have not scrutinised it. But a lot of silly claims have been made about it.

• Luke

They would probably be arrested just for using Google. Regardless of what they searched for. If they want to stay out of re-education camp they should stick to searching for things on Baidu.

• Andy

Not arrest, re-educated.

• If the extradition bill is passed: YES!

No! they will be send to Canada

Hong Kong is a part of China ..same country , two systems ...

• arther

The ignorance and stupidity of some Chinese students. I've seen them deny that Tiananmen square massacre even happened and walk out of the class. So who knows what the censer would do. Most Chinese are stupid and ignorant.

i would hope not

it just would not show-up ...............