How Can I Measure My Home's Square Footage?

I am just curious of how can i measure it. Will i include my overall lot size in compiting it?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • olivia
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

For the simplest way to measure the square footage of the rooms in your house, you’ll need:

Tape measure

Paper and pencil

Calculator

• 1 year ago

measuring it is a good way..

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Length x width of finished interior spaces Just jot the numbers down on paper and do every rectangle of every room and every closet...for that room. Then add up all the totals together and that should give you the finished living space. Which is how they advertise homes...by finished space. That is also how they insure you and tax you.

In rooms that have cabinets, you measure as though the cabinet was not there...so you go right to the wall and ignore the vanity, toilet, bathtub or shower and measure as though they are not present. That is assumed stuff. Stairwell is measured wall to wall like it was a flat floor.

Or you can be less accurate and still acceptable is measuring the width of the house (north wall to south wall) and then the length of the house (East to West) That should give you 2 numbers (as most houses are built like a BOX) so LXW= square footage. If you have an "L" shape house then you have 2 boxes to add together or a T shape is 2 boxes or a U shape you have 3 boxes. NxSx2 + ExW. If it is multilevel of finished rooms then you multiply # of floors.=sq foots.

Lot size is LxW of yard(ignore house) and that is the size of the lot.

• 1 year ago

You would measure just the interior living areas. (no unfinished basements, no garages, no attics, no sheds, no decks). You can measure each room, then add them all together to get the final square footage.

In my town, we must leave 25% of our property free from being built upon (including outdoor decks, porches, the garage, sheds, gazebos, pergolas, etc) Not including walkways or patios or driveways.

Therefore, the square footage of the entire structure is counted as square footage.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

area = length x width

ever been to a schrool?

• 1 year ago

Oddly, there are two ways, and that explains the conflicting answers.

A builder or architect is concerned with the "footprint" of the house and will multiply the exterior Length x Width of each level. So a 2-story house with a 24' x 36' exterior would be 36x24=864 for each floor, making a total of 1728 sf

A realtor is concerned with the actual living/floor space. The Length and Width of each room are multiplied, then added up. Include stairways and closets. This often is a lower number than the contractors method because it leaves out space taken up by walls, crawl spaces, chimneys, etc https://www.zillow.com/blog/how-to-measure-your-ho...

In either case, do not include garages and basements (even if the basement is finished).

• chris
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Home =

Total area of all "registered living space"!

This does not include decks, patios, unfinished basements, garages, yards or attics.

Acreage or "Lot" =

Total area of land, including the land the home sits on.

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

Go outside measure length an width then multiple them.

• 1 year ago

L x W of each room and area. Add them up.

• 1 year ago

Home's square footage, as listed on the tax rolls is floor space, length x width. Also used for realty purposes, lot is a different thing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.