Can I use my unlocked phone anywhere internationally and use the carriers in a country overseas since it’s unlocked ?

1 year ago

Yes but roaming charges are expensive on your phone plan especially for data,. This assumes that you actually have roaming facilities in your current mobile plan to start with. If not some providers just allow it but then the roaming costs are even higher as you have used it without first having the roaming set up. Bit like using an unauthorised overdraft at the bank.

• SRΛSC
    1 year ago

The phone would have to be able to use the frequencies the local carrier uses.

As far as using the carriers, yes since it is unlocked, but again the frequencies matter.

• P
    1 year ago

An unlocked phone just means it's able to accept sim cards from other carriers. You still have to make sure you phone is capable of using that specific carrier's frequency. Example: Phones that work on at&t or T-Mobile are going to be compatible with most international carriers, but phones originally sold for Verizon or Sprint may not even be capable of most common international frequencies.

• 1 year ago

In theory, yes. The unlock thing basically means that your phone isn't "locked" to that carrier that you bought it from. once it is unlocked, it should theoretically work with any compatible GSM carrier. I say theoretically, because your phone must support the network bands that the carrier uses in the area you're in.

As an example: I took my Verizon LG G3 (unlocked) to Mexico a few years ago. I used Movistar there. However, my phone wasn't compatible with the 4G bands they use, so I never got a 4G signal, even though there was 4G coverage in most of the areas I was in.

Additionally, it may be possible that some carriers use different network bands in different places. So it may be possible that in one area you are in, you get 4G coverage, but in another area, they use another band that your phone isn't compatible with, and you might not get 4G coverage.

You can try a website like willmyphonework.net to see if it is compatible with the carriers in whatever country you plan on visiting.

• martin
    1 year ago

No. Generally, you have to buy a special chip and have it inserted into your cellphone for use from overseas.

• Bri1 year agoReport

Yes and if it’s unlocked I’m able to get a SIM card from anywhere and use it ..

• 1 year ago

You can use any SIM card from any country, however each SIM has a different phone number.

For your number to work anywhere in the world, you also have to arrange it with your service provider; they need to enable international roaming & you don't change the SIM.

That means anyone can call your phone number and get through to you no matter where you are, but you will get charged extra for international call or data use.

Using a "local" SIM changes your number but minimises costs & data for calls within that country.