Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 months ago

When did the Democrats and Republicans officially switch names, and how was this done?

I’ve seen several democrats here say the republicans and democrats changed names, that the modern day Democratic Party was once called the Republican Party and vice versa.

I can’t seem to find any information about the parties ever switching names however. Can someone provide more information please?

46 Answers

Relevance
  • Zhu
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

Dems started supporting civil rights, and racist southerners switched to the Rep with Nuxonz after '68.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Some people believe there’s only really one party in this country anyway. Candidates who aren’t political ‘insiders’ rarely get nominated by their parties officials, like sanders in last election. So you end up with the most ‘bought’, most corruptible of either party, basically, be it repub or dem

• 8 months ago

That’s just a hoax, dems just don’t want to take responsibility for slavery and racism

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Early in the 19th century the party of Jefferson, the Republicans, then the Democrat-Republicans, became the Democratic Party. They supported slavery and a new Republican Party, led by Abraham Lincoln, set out to destroy slavery. Even as late as the 1940s, the Democrats fought against every Republican effort to pass Anti-lynching laws. That says all you need to know about Democrats. Their present tactic, as exemplified by Ocasio- Cortez is pandering to Blacks.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

It is more like the Democrats used to be conservative and the Republicans liberal. That's why the Republicans were anti-slavery as far back as the Civil War.

They started to switch at the 1924 Democratic Convention when they had what conservatives now call the "Klan Bake". The KKK wanted the Democrats to embrace their movement, but when they were completely removed from the platform, they began turning to the Republican party.

The switch was completed in 1964 with the Civil Rights movement.

Now, the Democrats are liberal and the Republicans are conservative.

• Nick
    Lv 5
    8 months ago

Close to the 20th century.

• trump is leading them in the right direction.

• 8 months ago

They didn't switch names, they switched ideology.

• 8 months agoReport

A bit more like they changed their voter bases.

• blu
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

It's complicated because the ethos is in a state of flux. The country and it's politics have been through a number of changes in 250 yrs.

First one has to get a handle on liberalism v conservatism. The right and left wing fundamentalism began w/ the Age of Enlightenment.

Throughout history, both parties were more like the other by today's standards. For example, Teddy Roosevelt was a trust busting pro-union environmentalist. These would be considered dem policy today.

And one other thing, there is a lot of opinion involved that complicates things because people will disagree.

edit

Civil rights caused many people to switch party. The equality tenet of liberalism compelled the dems to rebrand and embrace it. The opposition came f/ the south and the reps.

"In American politics, the Southern strategy was a Republican Party electoral strategy to increase political support among white voters in the South by appealing to racism against African Americans.[1][2][3]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

I'm old enough to remember this. Strom Thurmond is symbolic of the transition.

"A magnet for controversy during his nearly half-century Senate career, Thurmond switched parties because of his support for the conservatism of the Republican presidential candidate Senator Barry Goldwater. In the months before switching, he had "been critical of the Democratic Administration for ... enactment of the Civil Rights Law",[2] while Goldwater "boasted of his opposition to the Civil Rights Act, and made it part of his platform."[3]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strom_Thurmond

See the TDs ... that's what I mean about opinion v fact. I have the facts, the righties think their opinion trumps fact. Almost all racists vote rep today. They would flood this forum w/ hate speech like how Obama looked like a stain on their underwear etc.

"White Supremacists Hold D.C. Press Conference To Discuss Their Plans And Their Love For Donald Trump"

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/9/10/1563919...

• blu
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Subsequently, the GOP shattered the filibuster record. This is evidence of them fulfilling their vow. I can go on for hrs. on this subject because I have a library full of facts, quotes, links, sources etc. since there is so much of it.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Liberals have no problem rewriting history to make themselves look better. The parties never switched names, that’s just made up history.

• Lv 4
      8 months agoReport

most ironic, and hypocritical answer in the world ladies and gents

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.