Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 1 year ago

Are humans too adapted to technology to ever change global warming?

It occurred to me that to even remotely balance the environment, majority of society would basically have to live similar to the Amish.

Not to sound pessimistic, but I think it is hopeless as I seriously doubt majority people are willing to give up their current lifestyles for anything less.

By technology, I just meant that we are too far advanced to go backwards or have the desire to do so.

Aside from that point, I've done a lot of unbiased research on clean energy. While I think its a step in the right direction, the manufacturing/maintenance/and consumption required for it with the worlds current population is still extremely detrimental in regards to pollution. Also, a lot of manufacturing for batteries, solar panels and such is still VERY dependent on fossil fuels.

For the record, I do not believe humans are directly solely responsible for such huge climate shifts, but I do believe we contribute a lot to it. When scientists speak about this, I tend to believe them. Why? Because many scientists actually hate politics and don't care about red/blue controversy. They care about answers. Also, if you don't believe in climate change, then at least believe in the fact we are trashing our environment beyond repair. That is something everyone should care about

• Cowboy
    1 year ago

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! humans are just too stupid - too easily swayed by fast-talking idiots. Turns out we're just not survivors at all.

• 1 year ago

Where did you get that idea? Not driving a 500 hp vehicle 1/4 mile to the store would be a good start- just walk. Turn either the heat or the air conditioning off- don't have both running at once. Only cook as much as you're going to eat or eat the leftovers the next day instead of cooking too much and throwing it away. simple steps that are "unAmerican" can help out.

• 1 year ago

We will need to have a bit of a breakthrough in aero-engine technology and you will nee to be happy with reduced car ranges and long recharging stops.

Other than that, how many square miles of solar panels will we need and how many tons of batteries?

Part of the problem is that many in the world have a lower standard of living than the Amish. They want to live like most of us in The West and who are we to say that cannot?

• 1 year ago

I don't believe so.

I remember reading science fiction novels with wonderful artwork on the covers showing rolling green hills and fields tended by robot workers, skyscrapers surrounded by lush forest, undersea domes next to thriving coral reefs and so on. They were visions of a possible future by people like Issac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke and I always thought they were places I'd love to live in. The future envisaged by Philip K. Dick ... not so much!

If you look at places like Singapore and how they've tried to be environmentally friendly, I think those visions probably can become a reality due to our technology and ingenuity. And if you consider developments like smart cities, intelligent buildings, hyperloops, electric and driverless cars, wind, solar, tidal, wave, and maybe even fusion power etc I think we can solve many of the environmental problems we know we are causing.

• 1 year ago

There is no man made global warming.

• Thorn
      1 year agoReport

Really? what's your scientific evidence and why won't you show it to any of the thousands of scientists around the world that are eager to see it?

• sam
    1 year ago

there is nothing Amish about LED lights, electric cars or solar panels.

• 1 year ago

No. Some aspects of technology have a smaller carbon footprint than non-technical methods. Example: solar panels.

• JimZ
    1 year ago

We don't have to give up technology. That is a myth that some on the left try to portray. They have an animus for humanity, for freedom and they hate it when some people have more than they do. We can't go back to living like the Amish. That would be far harder on the environment than our current lifestyle. Those with the most wealth and technology are the best for the environment.

• Mark
    1 year ago

It's not modern technology as such that causes most global warming, it's things like eating 3 lbs of beef every day and driving fossil-fueled cars that causes most of it.

1 year ago

no, they can't as they DIDN'T cause it in the first place ..................................

• Climate Realist
      1 year agoReport

Global warming denier trolling .................