Hello, someone I know might be a convicted felon, can they still get a passport.?

Me and someone I know, live in New Jersey, we are planning a trip to Punta Cana. We both do not have passports. I was wondering, A. Do we need visas to travel there? And B. My friend is not a felon yet, and we don’t know if she may be, because she hasn’t been to court yet. It was a whole big thing, her bf at the... show more Me and someone I know, live in New Jersey, we are planning a trip to Punta Cana. We both do not have passports. I was wondering, A. Do we need visas to travel there? And B. My friend is not a felon yet, and we don’t know if she may be, because she hasn’t been to court yet. It was a whole big thing, her bf at the time dropped an abused dog off at her house, my friend was trying to nurture it back to life, as she is a vet, she even has pictures of her bottle feeding the dog. My friend realized that she was just going to bring the dog to the vet, and tell them that she found the dog. (She didn’t know that it was her boyfriends dog at the time, she was never invited to his house. He was very weird. And my friend also didn’t want to get her boyfriend in trouble, just Incase it was his dog, so and so. It was hard to grasp that he was an animal abuser, so she was confused.) Eventually someone came to her house, called the police, the police arrived, they asked if there was a dog in the home, she did lie to the police and say no, fearing that they might think the abused and malnourished dog was hers, the police then asked to come in, and saw the dog on the couch. She’s been to multiple lawyers, and they’ve all told her that when she goes to court, they might just mark her as a felon, instead of jail time, which doesn’t make sense because her ex bf is the one that abused the dog. But on top of this, I was wondering if she could still get a passport and come to Punta Cana with me.