Can I write my own will and will it be legal (uk)?

• Clive
    Favorite Answer

Yes. I wrote my Dad's for him and it got through probate without any trouble. What makes it legal is that it is properly executed - signed in the presence of two witnesses who also sign. The witnesses must be people who do not receive anything from the will.

But DO be sure what you are doing. Make sure it is clear and cannot be misinterpreted, appoints executor(s), and that it deals with ALL your property. Once you have given away particular items and amounts of money, the rest is the residue and don't forget to say how the residue must be divided up. Otherwise you will die partially intestate and that will take a solicitor to sort out.

1 year ago

Yes, of course, but then do you not need a notary to keep it in a safe? I know some banks allow you to do that, but Idk how much they cost.

Yes you can. You will need to have two witnesses sign the will so the court knows it is real, and give copies to each of the witnesses and to whoever will be executor of the will so that they will have it to present to the court. There are templates available to help you make a will so that it covers the things that need to be covered and does not do something that would invalid the will (such as you can not will our debts to someone). It is also a smart idea to get it reviewed by an attorney. The cost to do that is minimal. But you can write your own will.

• Maxi

Yes you can write your own Will as long as you have two witnesses to you signature......... however for the cost of getting it legally done correctly and if you have no legal training then it is really not worth it

• Tavy

Yes you can , templates on the internet or forms in a stationers. They give full instructions.

All you need are two witnesses for your signature.