Can my wages be garnished for student loan from a technical school ?

I’ve had a student loan for a few years I’ve owed from a technical school I’ve wondered if they could garnished my wages ? I’ve been told by people they can’t since it’s not like a peeing IRS Debt ect I just don’t wanna find less money in my checks it’s been 8 years since I’ve had it

1 year ago

Yes. Your wages can be garnished for any kind of debt. The process would depend on where the loan originated from. If it's the department of education they give themselves the power to do whatever they want, whenever they want, to whoever they want. The system is used as a weapon. That's why most government buildings have security guards posted everywhere to defend themselves because they just know when you declare war someone's gonna come in and shoot the place up out of frustration any minute now.

If it's anybody else they would have to sue you in court and win a judgement against you. I've been monitoring the situation closely and oftentimes they end up winning the judgement because corruption runs deep and the system is shady AF. They'll even have people pose as lawyers to tell you the wrong thing because they can't provide any proof of their robo signed loans. These are loans that just flew right through their automated approval machine without even batting an eyelash.

Even if you defaulted 8 years ago and it fell through the cracks the lenders will still lie about the date of default so they can still sue you, deceive you and get a default judgement.

• nancy
    1 year ago

If your loan is a federal student loan (i.e. from FAFSA), then your wages can be garnished by the federal government. They can also attach any federal payment owed to you, such as a tax refund or social security check. If your loan is a private loan, the lender would need to take you to court and thecourt could order wage garnishment. In either case, you'll end up owing more because you will have accrued more interest and penalties, and may also owe court costs and attorneys' fees. And, of course, your credit will be wrecked. A better way to handle it would be to contact the lender and negotiate a payment you can afford.

• Linda
    1 year ago

The Student Loan is NOT from the school. The longer you wait to pay - the more interest will be added to it.

If you go into default - then the IRS will take your tax refunds.

• Laurie
    1 year ago

If you don't want your checks garnished, PAY YOUR DEBT. What gives you the right to steal money from the rest of us taxpayers? Shame on you.

• Big Mouth
      1 year agoReport

That sounds like something a criminal would say. How much do they pay you to be that brainwashed?

• 1 year ago

In the USA garnishing is ordered by a court, and I highly doubt a judge would issue such an order for a debt to a technical school.

1 year ago

Yes is the short answer. You're about to find out that student loan debt has a long memory and it's continued to accumulate interest in those 8 years.

• 1 year ago

Yes or take your taxes. Did you file for an income based payment plan or deferment? I’d suggest you get on it..

• 1 year ago

YUP YOU HAVE TO PAY IT SOME HOW

• y
    1 year ago

If they go to court, they can, but it also depends on the type of the debt/loan and such.