I need to chat in fortnite, just got apple earbuds with mic. will it work (Xbox One S)?

my friend lent me the apple earbuds because I'm the only one of my friends who doesn't talk in fortnite. I tried other earphones that came with a kindle but I think it's broken. I also tried 2 sony earbuds but I was fooling myself into thinking it would work for an xbox one controller (this is for xbox... show more my friend lent me the apple earbuds because I'm the only one of my friends who doesn't talk in fortnite. I tried other earphones that came with a kindle but I think it's broken. I also tried 2 sony earbuds but I was fooling myself into thinking it would work for an xbox one controller (this is for xbox one S by the way). so naturally I was excited cause my friend said the apple ones work with his xbox one S but then I looked up online and a lot of people are saying that you need to turn off the mic for the earbuds to work, but the whole point of getting the earbuds was so I could get the mic to work. is there any chance that I could use the mic, and I don't mind not hearing the game itself through the earbuds.