Can a brand newbNimh rechargeable battery leak black liquid?

I recently bought a new 300 lumens tactical flashlight that takes one AA battery. I put in a brand new rechargeable Nimh battery and marveled at how bright and great my new light is. Then, after 2 days, it suddenly stopped working. I opened it up and discovered black oily liquid all over my battery. But I thought... show more I recently bought a new 300 lumens tactical flashlight that takes one AA battery. I put in a brand new rechargeable Nimh battery and marveled at how bright and great my new light is. Then, after 2 days, it suddenly stopped working. I opened it up and discovered black oily liquid all over my battery. But I thought that Nimh batteries don t have liquid inside of them. I also thought that if they ever did leak, which would be rare, then it worked most likely be a white discharge. Can anybody shed some light on this for me? Is it possible that this black liquid is not my battery, and instead is somehow the flashlight? Also, after cleaning it up, can I still use that battery in something else?