Nintendo Switch: What's with the rubbish battery life?

Okay so I am not judging the Switch, it is a very fun console and I am overall pleased with it. Just the battery life of the tablet controller is an issue. It's just as bad (if not worse) than the battery life of the Wii u gamepad. I had the console fully charged and played in handheld mode. I had motion... show more Okay so I am not judging the Switch, it is a very fun console and I am overall pleased with it. Just the battery life of the tablet controller is an issue. It's just as bad (if not worse) than the battery life of the Wii u gamepad. I had the console fully charged and played in handheld mode. I had motion controls and vibrations disabled, I was using headphones instead of speaker, I had the screen brightness on minimum. And it only lasted 3.5 hours. It should be longer.
Update: Also it's a real pain to have to use the console while it's charging, due to the position of the charging port on the console. So why did they make the battery life abnormally short, considering I was doing everything I could to save power.