How can I get games for the Nintendo Switch without paying a lot?

I don't know much about video games, but my son has finally convinced me to get a Switch for Xmas. Problem is, it looks like after he opens up the box, he will have a console and no games to play on it on Christmas day. What is a way to get games without paying a bunch for each game? I know the library has a... show more I don't know much about video games, but my son has finally convinced me to get a Switch for Xmas. Problem is, it looks like after he opens up the box, he will have a console and no games to play on it on Christmas day.

What is a way to get games without paying a bunch for each game? I know the library has a few games for Switch. Are games for other Nintendo consoles compatible?

By the way, if we do manage to borrow a few games for a week at a time, do the games stay loaded inside the console, or is there a physical thing that has to stay connected for the game to work?

Thanks.