What's up with some of these people in the USA, they believe the earth is flat?

I am from Singapore and I visited a friend in the USA, but some of the people he knew tried to convince me that the earth is flat and there were quite a few of them. Apparently it's linked to their Christian belief or something. I did some research and found out that over 70 percent of Americans are Christian... show more I am from Singapore and I visited a friend in the USA, but some of the people he knew tried to convince me that the earth is flat and there were quite a few of them. Apparently it's linked to their Christian belief or something.

I did some research and found out that over 70 percent of Americans are Christian and that Catholicism (the most progressive and sensible form of Christianity which accepts science) is the least common there, and that other fundamentalist types are more common in the USA. So such beliefs like a flat earth or a 6000 year old earth exist within millions of Americans apparently.

Guys, what happened? Has the USA always had some idiots like this, or has your country just fallen far?
Update: @Onion3000
You are correct in your assessment, I am not saying that these people represent a majority of people in the USA, or even a majority of those 70% of Americans who are Christians, but certainly they appear as if they could make up 15% of the US population which would be 21% of Christians in the USA.