Is it normal to smell raw gas all day after filling up at a station?

I have a 1995 Ford F-150 (5.0) pickup. I ve been noticing these past several months that every time I get gas, I can smell a strong gas odor around the outside of my truck. Not constant, just off and on. It s not coming inside the cab, just outside. Can gas still smell several months after a tank overflows?... show more I have a 1995 Ford F-150 (5.0) pickup. I ve been noticing these past several months that every time I get gas, I can smell a strong gas odor around the outside of my truck. Not constant, just off and on. It s not coming inside the cab, just outside.

Can gas still smell several months after a tank overflows? Because several months ago, I overfilled the tank and gas was pouring out underneath. Ever since then, I only fill my tanks to the 3/4 mark (if I wrote that right). And it hasn t happened anymore. I haven t noticed any gas dripping on the ground. I have a brand new fuel filter.

I checked the trouble codes, and none of the codes have anything to do with fuel. Mostly smog related stuff, such as a purge cannister failure etc. Which I ve been told by multiple people is nothing to worry about.
Update: I'm not 100% sure if it smells ONLY after filling up. It's possible it smells that way all the time. I do seem to recall smelling gas even when I haven't driven anywhere for days.
Update 2: There's already $800 of work that I need done on my truck. No way can I afford to have my tank etc. checked. No time soon that is. My truck is taking all of my money away.