Why were "most" video games almost unplayable before the PlayStation era? How could gamers tolerate this?

I managed to get a SNES Classic Edition and eventually modded it to add more of my personal favorites like Donkey Kong Country 2 and Super Mario All-Stars. The SNES was the first system I owned as a kid and I remember it fondly but only for the iconic games like DKC and Super Mario World. Through modding the system... show more I managed to get a SNES Classic Edition and eventually modded it to add more of my personal favorites like Donkey Kong Country 2 and Super Mario All-Stars. The SNES was the first system I owned as a kid and I remember it fondly but only for the iconic games like DKC and Super Mario World. Through modding the system and adding over 150 games and testing out the majority of them I realized that with the exception of the renowned games like Mario (including Mario Kart), Sonic, DKC, Kirby, The Legend of Zelda, and perhaps Killer Instinct, NBA Jam, and Mortal Kombat, the majority of games made before 1995 or the 5th Generation of video games are almost completely unplayable. Almost every lesser known game I played has the same type of hack and slash 2D mechanic. Either inaccurately jump on or over enemies, avoid enemies, or shoot things at them with flimsy 2D controls. Role-Playing games like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger are an exception because they're slow and turn-based. The games that are worst effected by the poor 2D mechanics are games based on movies and pop culture characters which was common in the late 80's and early 90's. These games have terrible control and are extremely repetitive. The problem with the PS1, N64, and Sega Saturn wasn't that the games were unplayable but the 3D graphics were horrendous. They should've waited until the Dreamcast to incorporate 3D. My question is how did gamers tolerate such a small variety of decent games back in the day?
Update: I was born in 1989. And if no one knew how to properly design a 3d game, they should've waited until they knew how to properly make one. That is some of my point at least. Games should've evolved more slowly and carefully then they did.
Update 2: And what made the N64 any safer than developing for the Dreamcast despite the fact that it's cartridge based? That was the only system where Nintendo came close to what Sega was aiming for with the Dreamcast.The Dreamcast failed for two reasons, both not directly related to gaming. Lack of a DVD player and too... show more And what made the N64 any safer than developing for the Dreamcast despite the fact that it's cartridge based? That was the only system where Nintendo came close to what Sega was aiming for with the Dreamcast.The Dreamcast failed for two reasons, both not directly related to gaming. Lack of a DVD player and too early bad timing. The technology was among the first that truly made games playable and accurate. You don't know what you're talking about.
Update 3: And what made the N64 any safer than developing for the Dreamcast despite the fact that it's cartridge based? That was the only system where Nintendo came close to what Sega was aiming for with the Dreamcast.The Dreamcast failed for two reasons, both not directly related to gaming. Lack of a DVD player and too... show more And what made the N64 any safer than developing for the Dreamcast despite the fact that it's cartridge based? That was the only system where Nintendo came close to what Sega was aiming for with the Dreamcast.The Dreamcast failed for two reasons, both not directly related to gaming. Lack of a DVD player and too early bad timing. The technology was among the first that truly made games playable and accurate. You don't know what you're talking about.
Update 4: You're basically admitting that almost the entire thing was about money in 1992 and about showing off in 1996. The timeline of video games is corrupted by greed and desperate need for attention. Marco Polo didn't have to use a gas engine idiot but probably could have used better planning along the way. Once... show more You're basically admitting that almost the entire thing was about money in 1992 and about showing off in 1996. The timeline of video games is corrupted by greed and desperate need for attention. Marco Polo didn't have to use a gas engine idiot but probably could have used better planning along the way. Once again that is my point. Don't think so much like an early game developer, that's probably why your argument has so much ******** lag while attacking mine.
Update 5: One last question. Did you personally enjoy Barbie Super Model, Batman Returns, Chester Cheetah Too Cool To Fool, Beauty And the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, The Flinstones Treasure of Sierra Madrock, Inspector Gadget, Home Alone 2, Home Improvement, The Jetsons Invasion of the Planet Pirates, Lethal Weapon,... show more One last question. Did you personally enjoy Barbie Super Model, Batman Returns, Chester Cheetah Too Cool To Fool, Beauty And the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, The Flinstones Treasure of Sierra Madrock, Inspector Gadget, Home Alone 2, Home Improvement, The Jetsons Invasion of the Planet Pirates, Lethal Weapon, Looney Tunes B-Ball, The Mask, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - The Movie, Nickelodeon GUTS, Rocko's Modern Life Spunky's Dangerous Day, Scooby Doo Mystery, True Lies, and Yoshi's Safari?