Hello,universe. Could you please help me with the usage of the preposition "WITH".?

It's about the usage of "with".

get confused about its another usage and it's called the composite structure of "With".

I have known Its normal usage.

For example:With winter coming on, it’s time to buy warm clothes.

She sat with her head bent

The day was bright, with a fresh breeze blowing.

In this structure,with is preposition and the other two words used after it respectively are objects and objective complements.

Objective complemen is present participle and I knew it.

BUT! The problem is whether I can use Gerund after that.

For example: With John having finished his homework, he could finally go to play basketball with his brother.

With my father's having done a great job beforehand,he was hired by his current boss eventually.

Another problem, I saw a picture in Yahoo website and I found a negative form in this composite structure of With

Can I say:"WIth my uncle not being able to make this work done,He was finally fired by his boss."?

Or,Can I add a perfect participle into this strucuture?

For example: With my mother not having finished her cooking yet,our whole family could not enjoy a nice dinner.

With our manager not having finished this project,the comany is going to be in a big trouble.

or With his not having paid attention to what was say in the listiening comprehension of the English test,Terry failed to pass it and had to retake the test again.

• Dave
    Favorite Answer

Let's start here:

"Can I say: With my uncle not being able to GET this work done, he was finally fired by his boss."? YES, WITH THE CORRECTIONS I INCLUDED.

Or, Can I add a perfect participle into this structure?

For example: With my mother not having finished her cooking yet, our whole family could not enjoy a nice dinner. YES, THAT ONE NEEDS NO CORRECTION

With our manager not having finished this project, the company is going to be in a big trouble. YES, THAT ONE ALSO NEEDS NO CORRECTING.

or

With his not having paid attention to what was SAID in the listening comprehension [portion] of the English test, Terry failed to pass it and had to retake the test again. YES, AS I CORRECTED IT.

Source(s): native AmE, hope the universe smiles on you today...
  • ?

I'm not sure what you're asking. All the sentences you quotes are correct- so yes, you can used the reduced clause as a participial phrase in those sentences.