Nintendo 64, Goldeneye lagging on HDTV?

I recently bought I Nintendo 64 with hopes of filling some nostalgia but playing it on my HDTV it doesn't feel like it used to, I know back in the day games were an average 20fps 30 if lucky, but this doesn't even feel like 20fps it feels more like 10 fps and is almost unplayable, I can't even complete... show more I recently bought I Nintendo 64 with hopes of filling some nostalgia but playing it on my HDTV it doesn't feel like it used to, I know back in the day games were an average 20fps 30 if lucky, but this doesn't even feel like 20fps it feels more like 10 fps and is almost unplayable, I can't even complete a mission on 00 agent. I did some research thinking I might have hardware problems but I found that it may be because I am using a hdtv and the tv tries to display it at 480i while the console displays at 240p and using an old crt to would fix this problem, i did notice a tiny little improvement when changing the aspect ratio to 4:3 so I guess this theory may be correct, I guess my question is will it? Will getting a crt tv for my n64 improve the lag/display or could it be from old hardware because I don't want to invest in one and have poor results.

Also I don't have any other games to test just goldeneye
Update: I found a small crt tv and got no difference on performance, the input lag noticeably dropped but the actual lag/slowdown the game has is still terrible, i guess it is just the way the n64 is as a kid i never noticed it and my perception has just grown to accept 50-60fps. (damn you high framerates). still is a... show more I found a small crt tv and got no difference on performance, the input lag noticeably dropped but the actual lag/slowdown the game has is still terrible, i guess it is just the way the n64 is as a kid i never noticed it and my perception has just grown to accept 50-60fps. (damn you high framerates). still is a great console and can run most games smoothly like super mario 64 but these types of fps shooter games were testing the n64 limits i guess.