It's about the Absolute Phrase in English Grammar.Could u please help me out there?

So I'd like to know whether I can put "not" in Absolute Phrase.

For example:

1) Weather permitting,we will go for an outing tomorrow.

Can I say "Weather not permitting, we will not be able to go for an outing tomorrow.

2) Work finished,Bob could finally go home for relaxation.

Can I change it into this?

"Work not finished yet,Bob went home without his supervisor's permission.

Favorite Answer

In a word, no. Inserting 'not', as you suggest, is simply wrong. It makes the sentence sound lumpy and awkward. Apart from that, your two sentences begin with an unrelated participle (or, as the Americans say, a dangling modifier), which is frowned upon by some grammarians. If you really must have your sentences set out in that way, here are my suggestions:

1. If the weather does not permit it, we will not be able to go for an outing tomorrow.

2. Because the work was not yet finished, Bob went home without his supervisor's permission.

If you could possibly manage without the unrelated participles, here are my suggestions:

1. We will not be able to go for an outing tomorrow, if the weather does not permit it.

2. Bob went home without his supervisor's permission, because the work was not yet finished.

The opposing team not showing up, the game was canceled. Why not? And there's nothing wrong with "showing up" or "permitting." They modify the nouns preceding them.

Her parents not objecting, she accepted Trump's offer.

The guards not watching, he sneaked into the warehouse.

etc.

• ?

Book Binder is right!

• Cogito

That's not the way they'd be said in English.

1) Weather permitting,we will go on an outing tomorrow.

"If the weather is bad, we won't be able to go on an outing tomorrow.

2) Work finished,Bob could finally go home to relax.

"His work was not finished, so Bob went home without his supervisor's permission."