Hello,people! It's very important. Could you please help me with the usage of "With"?

Now,I get confused with the usage of this word "with". Here are the sentences I make.

1) With John finishing his homework,all of us can now go to play bsketball with him together.

2) With John's finishing his homework. all of us can now go to the convert with him tonight.

3) With John not working out for our football team, we lost to our opponent in this match.

4) With Mary's having finished her housework, she can go to the park with her neighbours

5) With Mary having finished doing her housework, she can go to the park with her husband.

Could you please tell me which ones are right above? I think I got confused with the normal usage of "with" and its compound structure.

Favorite Answer

Sentences 2 and 4 are wrong because of the word order. The apostrophe denotes possession and has to refer to the next word in the sentence. So you would have to write 'with John's homework finished . . .' or 'with Mary's housework finished . . .'

The best way to check this is to substitute 'belonging to' and see if it becomes nonsense. So write 'having finished belonging to Mary' and then 'the housework belonging to Mary' and you will quickly see that 'housework' belongs to Mary not 'having finished'.

Many poorly educated people get the use of apostrophies wrong even those who have English as a first language.

I would also avoid the clunky double with. For example you might write;

As John has finished his homework, all of us can now go to the convert with him tonight.

• Bazza

2 and 4 are correct:

'with' (preposition) + John's (determiner) finishing (gerund/verbal noun)

The preposition 'with' governs the noun (gerund) 'finishing'.

This construction is a variation:

With Mary's having finished her housework, she can go to the park with her neighbours.

As/because Mary has finished her homework, she...

As/because John has finished his homework, he...