Hello, everyone.I found one sentence in the Yahoo News.Could you please help me check these two sentences?

As this News title goes,

1) With Celtics snub, Ball family makes its risky move.

What does this sentence mean here?

This word "snub" is an adjective or past participle?

2)With Lonzo not working out for Boston, Lavar is going all-in on Los Angeles-a gutsy but calculated move that has been shown to pay dividends in the past.

Is "Lonzo not working out for Boston" the gerund here?

Why shouldn't it be this phrase:"Without Lonzzo working out for Boston?" How can I understand this sentence?

Please help me! Thanks!

Favorite Answer

"With Lonzo... " is a preposition phrase, serving as an adverb here, modifying the verb. It means "Because Lonzo is not working out (being successful)..."

Sports writing is often very hard to understand. They use words in unusual ways to make the writing more interesting.

Sigh, "working out" here does not mean "being successful." It means "giving a demonstration of his skills." Yahoo Answers is not really the place to learn English.

If you really can't understand "With Lonzo not working out for Boston" in that sentence, just rephrase it as "Lonzo is not working out for Boston, and Lavar......"

"Snub" here is a noun, as you should be able to deduce from the rest of the sentence. If you don't know what it means, try a dictionary. You do know about dictionaries?

Sigh.

• ?

snub is a noun. It should read "With Celtics' snub." It's difficult to understand if you don't know who the Ball family is. Is the snub a risky move by the Ball family, or a reaction by the family to the snub?

I don't know what's being referred to about Lonzo, but it sounds as if "Since Lonzo has not been effective for Boston, the team is exploring an alternative strategy."