Hello, everyone! I have got an English Grammar problem about the objective complement. Could u please help me out?

I have got a problem on objective complement here. Could you please tell me whether these two sentences are the structure of objective complement? Why and why not??

1) "My day is afraid of me protesting my boss in person"

2) This is a picture of president Trump shaking hands with Obama.

And what's the difference between Objective Complement and Gerund Composite Structure. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

No.1 is so distant from normal English that it seems comical to me! Try: "Today I feel afraid of protesting to my boss" - at least, I think that is what you want to say. A "day" cannot be afraid of anything, it is simply a note of a period of time. Possibly you want to say that you are afraid of protesting about what your boss is doing. Note also that Britons and Americans use "protesting" differently. Britons generally "protest against something", or "protest about something", but Americans "protest something" meaning that they do not want that thing to happen.

No.2 Your sentence is almost correct. I might say: "This is a picture of President Trump shaking hands with Obama" (note capital for "President"). Actually I would say "Barak Obama" or "ex-president Obama" because "Obama" on its own feels rather bald.

Sorry, I cannot tell you about the technical differences concerning the Objective Compliment, etc. I have only been using British English as a native speaker for the last 65 years, and have never learned all the technical grammar terms.

All in all, I hope you can find a good teacher of English who is a native speaker, or possibly try to find a friend who is a native speaker to help you. Your No.1 shows that you are not learning the sort of "English" which is in any way close to the natural language used by a native speaker.

Neither sentence has an objective complement. To have an objective complement, you first have to have a direct object and that requires a transitive verb (and only a few of those work). Both sentences have 'is' as the verb, and 'is' is intransitive - it can never have a direct object. There must be a transitive verb such as make, name, call, choose, elect, appoint, and other verbs with similar uses.

Assume you mean dad, not day

You are looking at gerund composite structures in both cases; these, as a unit, act as the object of the verb. These include the gerund form of verbs acting as nouns. (And you have to be careful not to muddle them up with participles whihc also end -ing.)

An objective complement can be a noun or an adjective which follows the direct object renaming or modifying it and is relatively simple:

Consider these:

He found the suitcase.

He found the suitcase empty. The additional adjective 'empty' completes (and modifies the sense) and is therefore the objective complement.

Most native speakers use these constructions without even realizing their complexity, and are guided by what 'sounds right.'