Hello, everyone! One English Grammar Problem about Gerund. Could you tell me whether or not the two sentence below is right. Why and why not?

The sentence is like this: "Jane's having passed the maths test made us all relieved. "

Sentence No. 2:" Anyone having passed the test has got a prize."

Please do some analysis for me. Thank you, all.

• Zoozu
    Favorite Answer

Both sentences are correct and do not necessarily need improvement (for UK English).

(1) What made us all relieved? "Jane's having passed the maths test" is the noun phrase that is the subject of "made." Essentially the subject is the gerund "having passed."(A gerund is a verb form ending in -ing that plays the part of a noun, for example: "Dancing is my favorite activity.") "Jane's" is in the possessive, since we are talking about the results of Jane's test, not Jane herself.

(2) This is also correct, but it is awkward and could easily be misread. It might be better to say "Anyone who passed the test has got a prize." Who has got a prize? (What is the subject of "has got"?) The subject is essentially "Anyone"--or, more completely, the noun phrase "anyone having passed the test," which means "anyone who has passed the test" or "anyone who passed the test."

In the US we might say "Anyone who passed the test has gotten a prize," but I believe in the UK "got" would be preferred.

Thank you very much all! You are very kind to me. I am serious about English and I want to learn it seriously. I hope one day I can speak or write English as good as you are.

• ?

Well...there are problems with both sentences.

#1

- Jane's having passed the maths test made us all relieved.

Assuming this is British English (in the U.S. we use "math" and not "maths"), the problem is with the idea

- made us all relieved

since it has the sense "we were forced to feel relieved"

You probably want to reword that. Perhaps something like:

- relieved all of us

or

- caused all of us to be relieved

or

- caused all of us to feel relief

#2

- Anyone having passed the test has got a prize.

Again has a problem with the verb. Either you mean

- Anyone having passed the test has received a prize.

or

- Anyone having passed the test will receive a prize.