Is it ok to hit your dog for discipline?

I'm kinda new to this whole dog training thing, I've never actually owned one. But the woman I am currently seeing has a dog and since she moved in, I have kind of inherited it. Sometimes she works evenings like tonight and I'm stuck with it in the house. It is very noisy and pissing me off right now... show more I'm kinda new to this whole dog training thing, I've never actually owned one. But the woman I am currently seeing has a dog and since she moved in, I have kind of inherited it. Sometimes she works evenings like tonight and I'm stuck with it in the house.

It is very noisy and pissing me off right now as I'm typing this. I want to just grab it's ugly head and strangle it to death.. Though My gf would probably be very upset, so I won't do that.

My question is, when a dog is barking and won't stop no matter what you yell at it are you supposed to hit it/slap it? And will it stop then?

Btw the dog is a pitbull I believe.
Update: Thanks for advice professor , I hit him in the face with newspaper roll and shouted very loudly in his hear now he is all quiet and I am in peace n quiet :D